Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

@darkelfroamer (and others),

By installing it, you agreed to use "not ready for prime-time" software, yet (apparently) didn't take basic precautions.

Perhaps you need a refresher on the meaning of "beta" software:

Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[4] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss.

Don't want to help test unfinished code? Don't want to take the risk of messing-up your game? Don't want to be bothered to make a full backup? Don't use a beta version. :armscrossed:

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backing out of that NMM for sure. I also went through hell to install the 250+ Mods currently installed, which all need a specific order to install and what not and along comes this gem and wants to reinstall all of them. I never "noped-out" so fast since the first time I saw a frost troll at level 1.

As most of the others seem to say: I kinda see the idea behind it, but I would be blatantly stupid to actually do it. No chance in life I am going through installing hell again because of different profiles.

Thanks but no thanks

I just want to post this here for people having migration problems with the new NMM and want to revert back to the 0.56.1:

For those that want to revert back to the older NMM version, check out the Spoiler box here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/896029-nexus-mod-manager-release-notes-and-download-links/

You can restore your mods in the previous NMM by doing the following:

• Uninstall currently installed NMM, remove all config files when asked
  • Install a pre-0.60.x build (in my case 0.56.1)
  • Launch 0.56.1 and go through all the setup
  • With NMM loaded to the mod list screen, click on Tools (wrench and screwdriver icon) and select Restore Backup
  • Find the file Backup_DONOTDELETE.zip located in the VirtualInstall folder and open it
  • Restoration of all your mods should commence

During the restoration process, NMM will tend to install your mods in reverse order for some reason. I suggest that you double check what they are asking to overwrite before clicking on "No to Mod". Majority of it will probably be a "No to Mod" when overwriting regardless.

If you encounter any problems reverting back, let us know and we'll see if we can figure it out together.

I was able to get my game back up and running after the conversion but it's been buggy as hell, so I'm getting ready to redact .60 and go back to .56. I might just stay there. Here's what I learned today. I tried to backup the game folder on my freeagent drive. but the copy was very slow and would then hang up. I found out that when windows explorer hit a bad symlink it would just sit there. I had to get the PM up to close the move dialogue window and it forced explorer.exe to restart.

Eventually I figured out how to move it and then how to clean it. Link Shell Extension:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

helped me to move it on my win7 system. I installed it and used the "smart" option to get the game folder to my backup drive bad links and all. It also slowed disk performance noticeably, comparable with the performance hit the game/mod disk IO took with NMM.60, so I uninstalled it after I had my backup.

It was only later that I figured to get a fullscreen list with a "*" search in explorer and sorted it by file size. The symlinks all have a size of 0 and were clumped up at the bottom of this 60k file list. Every one of them was bad. I saw which 3 mods dropped the orphans...2 FOMODS and 1 non, and tried to uninstall them, then delete them. .60 would not delete them. I then manually deleted the bad symlinks but the manager still wouldn't delete them. Doesn't matter they're dead in a couple of days anyway.

I had fixed all the FOMADS the day the update barfed and reloaded most of the junk that got dropped, but I never looked to see what had symlinks and where they were till today... just not necessary at the time, but most of them weren't there , or were bad. I did a reasonable job of patching up my old install. I had rebuilt my setup at the end of July so most of it was still fresh in my head as to fixing it, though the backup was a month old. Problem is that it's getting more unstable every day and I've got just a bit to go on my current playthrough - just the very end of the main quest and I'm done till I reinstall.

Even though this backup is probably no good it's what I always do before a rebuild, so if any of you have had the same issues with backing up I did maybe this will help. From my perspective the symlink idea does not look like the way to go with NMM. Aside from the performance hit, It looks like we will be restricted to modding only through the use of zip archives and reinstalls. Several places where I dropped in custom body textures or edited a NMM installed mod .60 balked when asked to remove them for a clean reinstall.

It's this loss of flexibility and sluggish performance which has soured me on the new version more than the conversion fustercluck. I'd been out at my in-laws in Colorado that week and just came home after a week out of game and ran the update through out of hand... :D OOPS... But I've got a pretty big installation, 176 active mods, and know enough about this that I wasback on track in a few hours. One of my bashes got raped , but it was fully intact in the backup, and though I had to rename it - since overwriting the remains of the old one did not work, it was no real loss. I've wrecked my game several times before so it didn't kill me when Nexus did it this time.

I'd like to see an alternative version that DID NOT USE SYMLINKS. Most of my profiling would be minor, as I'm not much for Perkus Maximus or SkyRe type games. I'd much prefer the efficiency, reliability, and flexibility of .56 to return rather than have the bells and whistles of .60. As it stands today I'll have to be convinced that using the symlinks isn't more trouble than its worth.

Edited by geknight

I just want to note that SYMLINKs are 0KB in size probably because they are just a short one line code for redirections from one memory address to another. This doesn't necessarily make them "bad", just a whole lot more efficient than legacy shortcut links. Whether it is good to use or not is up for debate; I just wanted to clarify why they appear to be 0KB in size. :)

Also, creating a profile system without SYMLINKs would probably be a lot more taxing for SSDs as it would mean having to uninstall and reinstall large amounts of data, not to mention a lot more time consuming for all. Personally, I do see the potential benefits of using SYMLINKs in the long run.

I've been playing skyrim mods since the game was released, I really liked the NMM but this latest up date has ruined the game for me. half my mods will not install of the 205 mods I lost at least half. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. I wish there had been some more testing on it before it was released. I kind of feel like I have lost a whole bunch of my friend all at once...being an old man that is rather isolated it dose hurt...stupid I know but that is how it feels to me.

You guys always update the Nexus Mod Manager. This is bad because it has always been annoying and rarely does it really change anything. However, this last update uninstalled all my mods and then forced me to reinstall them all myself, run LOOT, clean mods with TES5edit once again, etc. It was a painful amount of work just to CONTINUE to play Skyrim. Worse yet, now I have run Nexus Mod Manager and it's just frozen. It doesn't start up. I restarted my PC and it still doesn't run. So, my advice is, "if it works, don't fix it". Well, fix it now cuz it's super messed up but once you guys do that I'd say quit tossing out updates everyday. It just makes things worse. Starting to think you guys are just trolling your community. Edited by mtimothy

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE place a checkbox suggesting an option to never see the suggestion to upgrade to 6.xx. The reason for that is (if you care), that I'll never use 6.xx. I don't use profiles and if I want to go to the trouble of reinstalling my 250+ mods, I'll switch to MO, which I already use for FONV. I'm quite happy with the old NMM for playing Skyrim. The version 0.56.1, is very nice to use. Thank you for that. Edited by janlevkoff