Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With nearly 170+ mods, 0.60 fails every time it scans for a minute or so, and now I don't know for sure what it's done and when I load FONV or 3, it has that warning about missing files that the previous save had. I also can't remember what was enabled and what wasn't, with a few exceptions, of course.

O_O very skurrd!

FWIW, the Megaton house themes are having an issue installing

Edited by WilmaRuther

In response to post #29552637.

bben46 wrote:

The links to the old versions have been posted over and over and over. All of the old versions are right where they have always been - at the bottom of the same page you are supposed to read when you download the latest version. - You will need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page - where you will find a line that says. Previous Builds and right under that a Spoiler block - for those who really don't know what a spoiler tag is - click directly on that spoiler block and the old versions will magically appear - they have always been there. Out of the way until needed.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/896029-nexus-mod-manager-release-notes-and-download-links/

For those who didn't read the warning and panicked when things didn't work like they thought they should and insist the new version is broken ( it's not, it works fine for many people.)

KunoMochi has written a very good procedure to revert to your old game - and like the location of the old versions, he has posted it over and over and over.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3299645-060-completely-destroyed-my-game/?p=29509625

So condescending, man...

Well I didn´t wanted to reinstall my system because i had an perfect modded skyrim and I was really enjoying it. Problem solved. Can´t even remember that i ever was so mad because of an update. How can you even consider, that reinstalling hundreds of mods will not lead to major issues. They often depend on eachother and you can´t check them in between, so you are forced to remember all your mods and decisions due the process. Maybe i will start with a fresh pc in a year or two again. Really made my day. Lesson number 1 - never update a working system.

They never stated that it would be free of issues (hence the warnings they put up). Of course moving from one standard to another for the first time will bound to cause some issues to appear, but it's a move that is a long time coming. It's better that they do this now than to do it later. It's also why they encourage people to test it out and report back any and all details about any problems encountered so they can look into it and fix it rather than leave it broken.

"Never update a working system" is a bad concept that would hinder innovation in the technology-driven world that we live in today. With that kind of mindset, we wouldn't have broadband, smart phones, LED TVs and monitors, and we've been seeing the limitations of systems and programs that still use a 32-bit design.

There are still numerous changes to be made to NMM to prepare for future updates but currently they are concentrated in fixing any major problems with NMM. It is up to us as a community to report to them about it so they can either replicate it or understand it enough to know what the problem could be to be fixed.

Kind of ridicilous to expand my statement from modding a game to global development of mankind. Thats not even close to what i had I my mind. What i meant was, that i will not agree to any updates again, when i am totally happy with my game. I risk the stability or in that case my whole game and i get nothing for it. Exactly "0". It´s simply stupid to take risks when you can´t get any benefit from it. I don´t even care about the savegames but all the work i putted to get to game to the state it was. After that update i will need countless hours to get it back. Edited by Arcon70

In response to post #29876845.

Arcon70 wrote: Kind of ridicilous to expand my statement from modding a game to global development of mankind. Thats not even close to what i had I my mind. What i meant was, that i will not agree to any updates again, when i am totally happy with my game. I risk the stability or in that case my whole game and i get nothing for it. Exactly "0". It´s simply stupid to take risks when you can´t get any benefit from it. I don´t even care about the savegames but all the work i putted to get to game to the state it was. After that update i will need countless hours to get it back.

You can't honestly say you weren't warned. It's also now old news that upgrading to a 0.60 version is a bit risky. At this point, if you tried the new NMM without backing up your game, then sorry, but you can only blame yourself. Edited by Nas00

Kind of ridicilous to expand my statement from modding a game to global development of mankind. Thats not even close to what i had I my mind. What i meant was, that i will not agree to any updates again, when i am totally happy with my game. I risk the stability or in that case my whole game and i get nothing for it. Exactly "0". It´s simply stupid to take risks when you can´t get any benefit from it. I don´t even care about the savegames but all the work i putted to get to game to the state it was. After that update i will need countless hours to get it back.

I had already noted your statement that you are already adamant on not updating, hence I never commented about it. The update is for those that want to try out and test the new system; it certainly isn't forced as you already know. It's been encouraged to stay with a pre-0.60.x build if you just want to play the game, especially if you aren't keen on helping to iron out the bugs.

But in order to move away from legacy code and frameworks, as well as ways to expand its capabilities and efficiency, they need to take risks themselves in order to advance forward. As I hear it, there are still a lot of new features that they would like to try out but unless they use newer libraries and switch from Windows Form to WPF, the program would be severely limited in the future.

The source code for 0.56.1 is still out there for anyone that would like to make their own forks using the pre-Profile version of NMM as the base and if they feel like they can improve on it.

In response to post #29876845. #29882295 is also a reply to the same post.

Arcon70 wrote: Kind of ridicilous to expand my statement from modding a game to global development of mankind. Thats not even close to what i had I my mind. What i meant was, that i will not agree to any updates again, when i am totally happy with my game. I risk the stability or in that case my whole game and i get nothing for it. Exactly "0". It´s simply stupid to take risks when you can´t get any benefit from it. I don´t even care about the savegames but all the work i putted to get to game to the state it was. After that update i will need countless hours to get it back.
Nas00 wrote: You can't honestly say you weren't warned. It's also now old news that upgrading to a 0.60 version is a bit risky. At this point, if you tried the new NMM without backing up your game, then sorry, but you can only blame yourself.

After i realised that the update tries to reinstall all mods i tried to abort it and launch it the normal way. That wasn´t working because the programm insisted on continuing and i didn´t realised that there is maybe a possibility to reroll the action. So it´s true that i might could have been more cautious. On the other hand thats a behavior pattern wich was totally fine for all other updates wich I checked carefully in the beginning.

Additionally such dangerous changes should be announced clearly and with no (not even the slightest) possibility of an misunderstanding. Nearly 40 Pages are a good proof for this possibility and i will not even try to imagine how many mails. So partly i am blaming myself but for atleast the same amount i blame the bad communication during the process which is also obvious. And the good thing is blaming something or someone is a highly subjectively decision so i need no recommendations about what i have to think about that.