Modders & Writers: Hand in hand

palaminopony

As a mod writer and a mod author, perhaps I can bring a share a few tips I have learned through experience. I have been working closely with a single mod writer for nearly a year, and it has benefited my current project in several ways. Before that I worked as a quest and book writer for a few large-scale projects. That said, I believe writers and authors can work together, and in doing so, have the ability to create a masterpiece. Below are a few brief tips I've learned directed at both parties.

For Mod authors:

-Communication is key. Be upfront about the story as you had imagined with your writer, or you may find their ideas differ in many ways than yours. Give them sections to work out themselves as well. "Gaps" in your story if you will. After all if you had the entire story thought up yourself, what's the purpose of a writer? Allow the writer to make suggestions, even if you have very specific ideas on how you want your storyline to function, it never hurts listening to their thoughts. You may find shining a new light on your concepts make them glow brighter ;) But enough philosophy. Discussing the story thoroughly throughout the writing process, between writer and author, is undoubtedly essential.

-Find dedicated writer. Almost anyone can write a story, but those who are passionate about your mod setting and story are rare.

-Writers often fear that all their work will be lost should the project leader decide to abandon the project, since they do not possess the skills necessary to continue the project themselves. This is typically a demoralizing thought, and can slow writing process. Again, frequent communication with the writer is key.

For Mod writers:

-Communication as discussed earlier. Nothing is more frustrating for a writer than discovering the mod author left out several key points when telling their story to you. It means your work is null, and you need to restart. Clearly discussing the storyline and making sure you understand it is essential.

-Find a project that's going somewhere. Make sure the project leader has either a history of successful mods, or has shown considerable dedication to his current one. In the end no mod is guaranteed, but using this technique could save you from wasting a decent amount of time.

-Make sure you have time to commit. Not only is it important to find a dedicated project, but it is also no less important to dedicate yourself. A writer who leaves mid-way through a project often leaves the project's leader in a mess. If things just don't work out, make sure you have sufficient documents to be handed off either to the replacement writer or the mod author.

These are rather basic tips, I left out a few more as I fear my post has already surpassed a reasonable size. Hopefully they help, either to be applied personally or to show how a collaboration between writers and authors is still possible.