Alternate starts killed vanilla chargen?

AlduinWorldEater

I've been using alternate start mods for a while now, most recently Alternate Start - Live Another Life. I switched them off because for some reason the ASLAL Helgen intro was causing glitches (Lokir dying before his first lines, PC running in place, dialogue events not progressing, the "spastic horse and buggy" glitch...) and found that I was CTDing at the very end, where you exit the cave with Ralof/Hadvar. Alduin flies over, Ralof/Hadvar crouches down, and then as they thank you for your help and go to take off, boom, CTD every time. Is this a leftover script that might be causing problems? I reinstalled ASLAL and, as long as I don't choose the Helgen start, everything runs smoothly.

I don't see how. ASLAL has some problems but I've never experienced it bugging the start after it's been uninstalled or even just unchecked (sometimes during testing I alternate alternate start mods between ASLAL and Random Alternate Start). But to be sure you can always go to ASAL's release thread and search the posts there to see if anyone has ever experienced a similar problem and if so what solutions there might be.

I don't think ASLAL is your problem. I've recently been using it for testing IA compatibility and so I've run multiple starts with it switched on and off without any of the issues you describe. Also, it comes with it's files packed into a BSA so no loose files at all.

I reckon your problems are either down to something that edits Helgen itself or the 'Skyrim doesn't like monitors running at anything other than 60 Hz' issue. Assuming, of course, that you didn't unpack the BSA yourself.

Regarding the CTD outside the cave: That's an area that's very graphics heavy, so your problem might be graphics overload. Check out Skyrim Project Stability.

Good Luck.

I don't think ASLAL is your problem. I've recently been using it for testing IA compatibility and so I've run multiple starts with it switched on and off without any of the issues you describe. Also, it comes with it's files packed into a BSA so no loose files at all.

I reckon your problems are either down to something that edits Helgen itself or the 'Skyrim doesn't like monitors running at anything other than 60 Hz' issue. Assuming, of course, that you didn't unpack the BSA yourself.

Regarding the CTD outside the cave: That's an area that's very graphics heavy, so your problem might be graphics overload. Check out Skyrim Project Stability.

Good Luck.

I'll give that a whirl. It's entirely possible that it's related to the graphics card, this computer came with a really bad one and has literally no expansion slots for a new one. I'll check into SPS and see how it runs for me! Thanks!