Fallout 4 System Requirements

jhelzei

• hi I'm a noob on specs, I'm considering buying the PC below from Amazon to play Fallout 4, will it run the game? and if so at what quality? Thanks
    AMD Piledriver FX-6350 Six Core 3.90GHz Processor FD6350FRHKBOX Socket AM3+ - Turbo Frequency 4.20GHz
    8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, 1TB Hard Drive Storage, HDMI 1080p, USB 3.0, WiFi
    NVIDIA GTX750 Ti 2GB HDMI Graphics Card
    Pre-Installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Operating System

It meets the minimum for Fallout 4, I haven't played the game to tell you how well it will perform though... since it hasn't been released...

The 750 Ti is not exactly a high powered graphics card, so I wouldn't expect to be playing it on 'Ultra High' settings or anything. But that being said, I love how insanely efficient that card is, I have put it in many computers for clients back when I fixed computers as my job, and I will actually be running one of those on my 6 year old PC with an anemic power supply to play Fallout 4. It only uses about 50 watts to run that card, you don't even have to plug it into the power supply, it gets power directly from the motherboard.

Genius design in my opinion, just not a gaming powerhouse card.

I wouldn't pay a whole lot of money for a rig running a 750 ti though, because that kind of shows that they designed it to run on a small power supply. If you are getting a good price on it totally go for it. I am typing this on a computer running a 750 ti and I love it, but I use it because it was a super cheap way to keep me from having to scrap my 6 year old pc for a new one...

Don't go spending $1,000 on a rig running a card like that. In the 6 years I have owned this computer I have spent less that $200 upgrading it to stay moddern, if that gives you any idea what kind of range you are looking at.

Are you looking for a 'cheap right now pc' or do you have the money to look at something a bit long term that will still be working 5 or 6 years down the line?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hi I'm a noob on specs, I'm considering buying the PC below from Amazon to play Fallout 4, will it run the game? and if so at what quality? Thanks
    AMD Piledriver FX-6350 Six Core 3.90GHz Processor FD6350FRHKBOX Socket AM3+ - Turbo Frequency 4.20GHz
    8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, 1TB Hard Drive Storage, HDMI 1080p, USB 3.0, WiFi
    NVIDIA GTX750 Ti 2GB HDMI Graphics Card
    Pre-Installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Operating System

It meets the minimum for Fallout 4, I haven't played the game to tell you how well it will perform though... since it hasn't been released...

The 750 Ti is not exactly a high powered graphics card, so I wouldn't expect to be playing it on 'Ultra High' settings or anything. But that being said, I love how insanely efficient that card is, I have put it in many computers for clients back when I fixed computers as my job, and I will actually be running one of those on my 6 year old PC with an anemic power supply to play Fallout 4. It only uses about 50 watts to run that card, you don't even have to plug it into the power supply, it gets power directly from the motherboard.

Genius design in my opinion, just not a gaming powerhouse card.

I wouldn't pay a whole lot of money for a rig running a 750 ti though, because that kind of shows that they designed it to run on a small power supply. If you are getting a good price on it totally go for it. I am typing this on a computer running a 750 ti and I love it, but I use it because it was a super cheap way to keep me from having to scrap my 6 year old pc for a new one...

Don't go spending $1,000 on a rig running a card like that. In the 6 years I have owned this computer I have spent less that $200 upgrading it to stay moddern, if that gives you any idea what kind of range you are looking at.

Are you looking for a 'cheap right now pc' or do you have the money to look at something a bit long term that will still be working 5 or 6 years down the line?

thanks for your reply, I'm on a budget of $766.63 (£500) and this just falls under that, prices in the UK are always higher than the US. I want to be able to play on medium and also want Just Cause 3 to run on it.

I wanted to buy a new PC in summer but when Fallout 4 was announced I told myself to wait until the requirements are out. I wasn't expecting the recommend ones to be this "high". So I will wait until some feedback's from people playing this game are out and then I will see if If my new PC really needs all the recommended stuff.

If you are going to spend money on a new PC, you might want to take into account future proofing your stuff so that 4 years from now you still have a processor and motherboard that will handle top notch games.

GPU and RAM can be replaced without much forethought, but replacing a processor means rebuilding the whole thing basically.

Just something to keep in mind, rather than just looking at the specs for one game today, what about games next year?

Yeah, you're right. Would be nice if I could run Fallout 5 in the future on the same PC without upgrading to much ^^ I think I will invest more in a processor and a motherboard and not so much in RAM and GPU since they can be replaced when its necessary.

I wanted to buy a new PC in summer but when Fallout 4 was announced I told myself to wait until the requirements are out. I wasn't expecting the recommend ones to be this "high". So I will wait until some feedback's from people playing this game are out and then I will see if If my new PC really needs all the recommended stuff.

If you are going to spend money on a new PC, you might want to take into account future proofing your stuff so that 4 years from now you still have a processor and motherboard that will handle top notch games.

GPU and RAM can be replaced without much forethought, but replacing a processor means rebuilding the whole thing basically.

Just something to keep in mind, rather than just looking at the specs for one game today, what about games next year?

Yeah, you're right. Would be nice if I could run Fallout 5 in the future on the same PC without upgrading to much ^^ I think I will invest more in a processor and a motherboard and not so much in RAM and GPU since they can be replaced when its necessary.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955293/hardware/skylake-review-intels-6th-gen-cpu-arrives-with-nice-presents-for-gamers-and-enthusiasts.html

4 ghz out of the box and built to be overclocked. I personally want to get one with an overclock friendly motherboard and then not overclock it yet, because nothing needs anywhere near that today. But, two years from now when they release an i7 that runs at 4.7 GHz, I can then overclock my older i7 to 4.7 GHz and get more years out of it.

If I had got a better motherboard with my 1st generation i7 I am currently running, I would have been able to overclock it to surpass the recommended stats for Fallout 4, but instead I am barely on the edge of the minimum...

But anyways, the 6th generation 'Skylake' i7s will be using the new DDR4 ram motherboards, so 4 years from now you will still be able to find ram and upgrade it. It was hard for me to find 8500 DDR3 ram 6 years later because my motherboard wouldn't support anything higher, which would have been super easy to find.

Ram upgrades are cheap and videocards are plug and play, so you don't have to worry about future proofing that stuff. 16gb of RAM is less that $90 and modern games only require half that. I personally only run 12gb of the 16gb set I bought, but that is just my motherboard again not being optimized for dual channel over 8gb but supporting triple channel at 12gb.

There are certain cons of running SLI with your videocards, but it is at least something worth looking into. If you build a rig that can support SLI and get one top notch videocard for expensive today, then 2 years from now when your videocard is no longer looking like the top dog anymore, you can buy a second or even third of that same videocard for MUCH cheaper this time around, and then run BOTH of them. So basically doubling your GPU for about $150 as opposed to scrapping your old card and buying a $300 GPU.

Also, last point to not forget, since clearly you are on the Nexus Forums it is safe to assume you want to mod this game, so don't limit yourself to what can play Fallout 4 now... Skyrim with some of it's crazy graphics mods requires a lot more out of your computer than Skyrim out of the box. Modders are not usually the best at keeping specs low, so I would assume that certain builds of modded Skyrim would have higher recommended specs than Fallout 4 has.

There is no way my computer now will be playing all the Fallout 4 mods that will be available 2-4 years from now.

Edited by Tony the Wookie

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955293/hardware/skylake-review-intels-6th-gen-cpu-arrives-with-nice-presents-for-gamers-and-enthusiasts.html

4 ghz out of the box and built to be overclocked. I personally want to get one with an overclock friendly motherboard and then not overclock it yet, because nothing needs anywhere near that today. But, two years from now when they release an i7 that runs at 4.7 GHz, I can then overclock my older i7 to 4.7 GHz and get more years out of it.

If I had got a better motherboard with my 1st generation i7 I am currently running, I would have been able to overclock it to surpass the recommended stats for Fallout 4, but instead I am barely on the edge of the minimum...

But anyways, the 6th generation 'Skylake' i7s will be using the new DDR4 ram motherboards, so 4 years from now you will still be able to find ram and upgrade it. It was hard for me to find 8500 DDR3 ram 6 years later because my motherboard wouldn't support anything higher, which would have been super easy to find.

Ram upgrades are cheap and videocards are plug and play, so you don't have to worry about future proofing that stuff. 16gb of RAM is less that $90 and modern games only require half that. I personally only run 12gb of the 16gb set I bought, but that is just my motherboard again not being optimized for dual channel over 8gb but supporting triple channel at 12gb.

There are certain cons of running SLI with your videocards, but it is at least something worth looking into. If you build a rig that can support SLI and get one top notch videocard for expensive today, then 2 years from now when your videocard is no longer looking like the top dog anymore, you can buy a second or even third of that same videocard for MUCH cheaper this time around, and then run BOTH of them. So basically doubling your GPU for about $150 as opposed to scrapping your old card and buying a $300 GPU.

Also, last point to not forget, since clearly you are on the Nexus Forums it is safe to assume you want to mod this game, so don't limit yourself to what can play Fallout 4 now... Skyrim with some of it's crazy graphics mods requires a lot more out of your computer than Skyrim out of the box. Modders are not usually the best at keeping specs low, so I would assume that certain builds of modded Skyrim would have higher recommended specs than Fallout 4 has.

There is no way my computer now will be playing all the Fallout 4 mods that will be available 2-4 years from now.

Thnx for all this information! And damn... I totally forgot about the mods.

So I have a question but first let me post the specs

CPU: intel i7 quadcore bloomfield 950

MOBO: Rampage III ASUS gaming

RAM: 12 GB

GPU: GTX GeForce 980 4GB Gaming - Twin Frozr

I'm aware my graphics card should be able to run FO4 quite well on max. However my cpu and mobo are 5ish years old. The CPU does not meet rec. req.

Does anyone have any idea if this will have an effect on gameplay. I fully intend to mod the crap out of the game once GECK is released and I really want to run on max settings.

Will I have problems with my CPU? Yay or nay?

I'm aware my graphics card should be able to run FO4 quite well on max. However my cpu and mobo are 5ish years old. The CPU does not meet rec. req.

Does anyone have any idea if this will have an effect on gameplay. I fully intend to mod the crap out of the game once GECK is released and I really want to run on max settings.

I am not an expert on this, but I have always believed that the processor had a lot less to do with performance than the graphics card. And it is an i7, so it is 4 cores with multi-threading, so you aren't running junk or anything.

So my opinion is it should be totally fine, but like I said I haven't played the game and I am not an expert, just a common user.

Can you overclock with your motherboard? That i7 should be able to be overclocked to meet the recommended.

Their games have been quite CPU heavy in the past but if that doesn't run it then there's something seriously wrong with the game, I wouldn't worry for now, those min/req specs don't look right.

I guess you should be fine.

Your GPU exceeds the rec. req. but your CPU is a little behind.

That means your will get lower frame-rates with your GTX 980 on a particular resolution, in contrast if you had a faster processor.

But that's all. I thing you will be able to max out Fallout 4, but I'm not sure how much frame-rates you will get, if you switch all your settings to ultra. !!!