OBGE 3.1 vs Oblivion Reloaded - OBGE v4?

talveren

Hi All,

I've been using OBGE v3.1 for quite a while. I'm doing a clean install and new mod configuration for Oblivion now and I was wondering what you all think about upgrading to Oblivion Reloaded?

Primary things I'd like to know:

1. Is the performance better?

2. Does it have replacements for the stand alone effects such as god rays, liquid water, etc? If so, are they comparable in prettiness or possibly better?

3. How much backwards compatibility is there? I'm open to replacing some of my graphics mods that depend on OBGE v3.1 if I can find something similar or better.

1) About performance, it's 4 times faster than OBGE, and with the new version I suppose it's even faster than before.

2) It has all effects now, and you can even create custom ones if you need.

3) There's no backward compatibility, since OR is a complete rewrite and evolution of OBGE. I don't think there are many mods which use OBGE anyway.

1) About performance, it's 4 times faster than OBGE, and with the new version I suppose it's even faster than before.

2) It has all effects now, and you can even create custom ones if you need.

3) There's no backward compatibility, since OR is a complete rewrite and evolution of OBGE. I don't think there are many mods which use OBGE anyway.

I don't see all the effects in the latest version, where are you looking?

I haven't tried OR in a few months but the last time I did it was still lacking compared to what I'm used to, it seems like there is a little more now but it's nothing compared to the plethora the old OBGE offered. I couldn't make the AO or DOF look good in OR either since there are so few options.

Edited by gianama

If AO and DOF quality/customization don't fit your taste, why don't you ask Alenet? OR is still in development and he (or another OR team member) could improve them or create new versions.

Else, you can stick with OBGE if you want, but remember OR is not just "OBGEv4".

It also bring many fixes in the engine (like an official patch) and add native horse combat, native dual wield (this one is currently under revision because of a bug), RAM Disk, FPS manager, safe ALT-Tab, fix for LOD and Grass, allow HDR+AA.

So, you won't get any of these, just because AO and DOF look a bit worse? It's your loss, but it's also your choice. I hope you'll give OR another chance.

If AO and DOF quality/customization don't fit your taste, why don't you ask Alenet? OR is still in development and he (or another OR team member) could improve them or create new versions.

Else, you can stick with OBGE if you want, but remember OR is not just "OBGEv4".

It also bring many fixes in the engine (like an official patch) and add native horse combat, native dual wield (this one is currently under revision because of a bug), RAM Disk, FPS manager, safe ALT-Tab, fix for LOD and Grass, allow HDR+AA.

So, you won't get any of these, just because AO and DOF look a bit worse? It's your loss, but it's also your choice. I hope you'll give OR another chance.

I'm with forli all the way...OR is a new reason to play Oblivion again IMO...there is also a new version about to be released and water never looked so good!