Changed resolution in skyrimlauncher and now ctd after bethesda logo

xDownpresser

Yeah. That's pretty much it. I got a new gpu so I tried changing the resolution in my vanilla skyrimlauncher and now when I start up with skse it just crashes to desktop after the Bethesda logo. I've tried changing it back, launching without skse and numerous other things. But it's like I can't get it to go back to normal now no matter what I do. I just want to be able to play with better settings! Please someone let me know if you know of the solution.

Edited by xDownpresser

So you directly upgraded on a game that you already had custom inis for? Or you never touched the inis before? Also any mods or enb?

this should be an easy fix. go here - Documents\my games\skyrim - and delete the 2 files named Skyrim.ini & SkyrimPrefs.ini

Then go into steam and verify your cache

then use the vanilla launcher to make your new INI's, save your settings, and try the game

if doing these steps doesn't work, let me know

The reason you are doing this is because of the line below

sD3DDevice="brand name and chip of your GPU"

I have seen several other people with the same problem and it's not your fault, Skyrim or more accurately, the engine for SKyrim does not take notice when a GPU is switched out for what ever reason. Deleting the INI's and verifying your cache and running the launcher has worked for other people in the past.

Edited by gromulos

Opening the launcher with a new card should have reset the inis, unless they were read only. I guess it doesnt always do that either :/

Delete rendererinfo.txt also.

So you directly upgraded on a game that you already had custom inis for? Or you never touched the inis before? Also any mods or enb?

Yes. I just installed my new card (nvidia geforce gtx980ti) and played normally when starting from skse. Everything was fine. But the I got the stupid idea to try to change s#*! in the default Skyrim launcher and now the ctd's happen every time I launch from either skse or default launcher. I tried changing them back and also tried changing to each setting and nothing.

this should be an easy fix. go here - Documents\my games\skyrim - and delete the 2 files named Skyrim.ini & SkyrimPrefs.ini

Then go into steam and verify your cache

then use the vanilla launcher to make your new INI's, save your settings, and try the game

if doing these steps doesn't work, let me know

The reason you are doing this is because of the line below

sD3DDevice="brand name and chip of your GPU"

I have seen several other people with the same problem and it's not your fault, Skyrim or more accurately, the engine for SKyrim does not take notice when a GPU is switched out for what ever reason. Deleting the INI's and verifying your cache and running the launcher has worked for other people in the past.

I tried all of these and I also tried deleting rendererinfo.txt like SMB92 said and nothing has worked. In my skyrimprefs it also says that my gpu is the correct one under the sd3ddevice. I'm at a loss I don't know what to do! I just want to try it out with high fps for once :( haha