Help me make a scope reticule replacement mod for vanilla guns

Deathbytac0

When I look down the scope of a sniper rifle my chance of hit is really just pure luck because I can't ever see my reticule. I want to retexture this so it will contrast against the target. Its 4am, idk why I'm up. I looked through the files and I can't find anything amidst my mods. I need a little help to find the texture the guns are using for their reticule. I can do this on my own, I just need a kickstart, plus I'm tired and braindead. My goal is just a simple retexture, no esp's, no incompatiblities. Just point me to the file, I'll owe you one.

I can tell you right now that you won't have much luck retexturing anything... The scope view is a separate model that the game uses when you look into your gun scope. The model itself creates the reticule components from actual polygons and not textures, therefore there is nothing to retexture.

However, you can still do something about your situation: You can either look for mods that supply alternate reticules (some have red-dot centers, which might fix your problem) or you can buckle down and try and alter the reticule's color yourself by tweaking it in Nifskope.

As far as giving any more details, I can't! It's been almost a year since I've played and/or modded FO3 so all that stuff is a fuzzy memory right now.

Hope this helps! Good luck...

I can tell you right now that you won't have much luck retexturing anything... The scope view is a separate model that the game uses when you look into your gun scope. The model itself creates the reticule components from actual polygons and not textures, therefore there is nothing to retexture.

However, you can still do something about your situation: You can either look for mods that supply alternate reticules (some have red-dot centers, which might fix your problem) or you can buckle down and try and alter the reticule's color yourself by tweaking it in Nifskope.

As far as giving any more details, I can't! It's been almost a year since I've played and/or modded FO3 so all that stuff is a fuzzy memory right now.

Hope this helps! Good luck...

That would make a lot of sense. I could try the nifskope route, but that sounds like a hard place to start because I as well haven't modded in years and I never got deep into it. I don't know of any mods that change the reticule, I did look... If anybody knows some please tell me.

Weapon mods like RH Ironsights. Apocalypse Armory, 20th C Weapons, eXcalibre have alternate reticules. Presumably the big overhaul mods do too.

Yes, that's one route to go but the thing is that he (the original poster, Deathbytac0) would be stuck using those weapons/mods and all that goes with using them. He stated that he was originally looking for a simple retexture, no ESPs, etc..

Deathbytac0: Perhaps I should have been more specific in pointing you elsewhere... As I recall, when I was looking for alternate reticules for my 'EVE-Lost And Found' mod, I managed to find some by looking in modder's resources on Nexus. You could try there and see if they're still up. Google may turn up some more... Sorry I can't give you specific names or links but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

...would be stuck using those weapons/mods and all that goes with using them...

Not true. I was suggesting those mods as a source of alternate reticles for the OP to add to their game themselves. There is no obligation to install the entire mod, just use the nifs.