scripiting challenge

hero4682

hi,

swords, staffs, and rings can all be enchanted.. but only swords and staffs use the "charge" feature... example; a staff has 20 charges for fireballs - easy enough..

but heres the challenge; can someone make it so that instead of equiping a ring and getting its "constant effect". make it so when u equip this particular ring, very similar to the weapon /staff "charge system" the ring wont give u the constant effect untill u activeate it ( i guess you would have to be cast with the cast button). but at the same time make it so that it has a limited amount of uses.

im not asking for a ring that gives the player a fireball or similar,... id still like to use a simple appeal buff like strength or willpower; something that looks like this; Enchanted Ring of Streangth (that only has 2 charges)

is this an insane idea?

You'd have to make a ring and a set of rings. To clarify:

You'd need something where when you equip the ring it gives you a buff of say Fortify Strength. Then in a script you remove that ring and put in an identical ring that says "1 charge left" in the enchantment description or something. Then when you equip that one you remove that one and put in a ring that has no enchantment.

You could recharge it by making a script that checks whether or not you have the item in your inventory when you go to an enchanting altar. It would bring up a message asking if you wanted to recharge your ring. When you've done that it would replace the empty ring with the 2 enchantment ring again and maybe, say, take a lesser soul gem out of your inventory.

I miss Morrowind. All items could be (1) Constant effect or (2) Cast on use, books and scrolls could be (3) Cast once, and weapons could be (4) Cast on strike.

So you could make your own scrolls, make weapons which would turn into bound weapons on strike, make swords that could cast ranged spells like Oblivion staffs, and do all sorts of other wild things.

Oblivion is hardcoded wrong for what you want to do, so elaborate and cumbersome workarounds would have to be used to make a possibly defective ersatz system.

Edited by David Brasher

I miss Morrowind. All items could be (1) Constant effect or (2) Cast on use, books and scrolls could be (3) Cast once, and weapons could be (4) Cast on strike.

So you could make your own scrolls, make weapons which would turn into bound weapons on strike, make swords that could cast ranged spells like Oblivion staffs, and do all sorts of other wild things.

Oblivion is hardcoded wrong for what you want to do, so elaborate and cumbersome workarounds would have to be used to make a possibly defective ersatz system.

yeah... the whole time i was thinking my project up, i must have been thinking morrowind rules... but yeah i miss that game too..... my favorite part was equiping different gauntlets on each arm, maybe one pauldron, and oh yeah, the players shirt sticking out of his armor... those were the days...

---

and jamochawoke, thanks for the idea... ive been thinking about it too and i came up with a work around similar to your idea, i got to try it out...

thanks guys