Restore to NMM version before Virtual Folders and Profiles

saibashi

I'm a big fan of NMM... at least I was until the latest version of NMM which completely broke the system. Could we please get a link to the last version of NMM before before Virtual Folders and Profiles were implemented?

It took me a while to figure out, but here it is. The new system is built on symlinks, which do not work on ExFat or Fat32 partitions. Many of us keep our games and mods on drives with ExFat or Fat32 because they can be read and written to by Windows, OSX, and Linux. Sometimes this is because we dual boot on a laptop like me. Others because we plug in an external drive for storage without formatting it NTFS (external drives are often formatted ExFat or Fat32 so they can be used across operating systems). Installing the latest version completely breaks the system because it uninstalls our old mods, and moves them to a new folder, and NMM doesn't succeed in making any symlinks in the game directory. At first, I thought it was just me, but I'm starting to see more and more people with similar problems. After the update, none of the mods work on systems with multiple drives or partitions.

In the short term, if you could provide a link to a version that works for us along with an explanation of the problem, we'd appreciate it. In the long term, we'd appreciate it if the virtual folder system being optional in new NMM releases.

Thanks!

Edit: I have no idea what the last version of NMM was before profiles, but other threads seem to think it's 0.56.1. In the short term, I'd like to see it in the NMM download page, next to the legacy XP version, something like legacy pre-profiles version.

Edited by saibashi

Here's the method I tried. I've tested a few times already and seems to work well to revert back to an older version:

For those that want to revert back to the older NMM version, check out the Spoiler box near the bottom of the this post: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/896029-nexus-mod-manager-release-notes-and-download-links/

You can restore your mods in the previous NMM by doing the following:

• Uninstall currently installed NMM, remove all config files when asked
  • Install a pre-0.60.x build (in my case 0.56.1)
  • Launch 0.56.1 and go through all the setup
  • With NMM loaded to the mod list screen, click on Tools (wrench and screwdriver icon) and select Restore Backup
  • Find the file Backup_DONOTDELETE.zip located in the VirtualInstall folder and open it
  • Restoration of all your mods should commence

During the restoration process, NMM will tend to install your mods in reverse order for some reason. I suggest that you double check what they are asking to overwrite before clicking on "No to Mod". Majority of it will probably be a "No to Mod" when overwriting regardless.