Noob needing help upgrading pc (for Fallout 4)

Ok, firsly i'm sorry if i ever sound a bit thick at any point here, but i'm pretty new to pc gaming. My old pc could only ever run really old games so i recently had one made. My budget was pretty low so i aimed to keep costs low but I tried to make sure i had room for upgrade. I was also trying to go for something similar performance to an Xbox one, so that i could be confident it would run new games fairly well. Well....i guess i failed cause as far as i can see, it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Fallout 4.

Asus Z97-P

Intel i3 4160 (3.5 GHz) Standard intel CPU Cooler

Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5

8GB DDR3

Kingston 120GB SSD

Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA III Hard Disk Drive

FSP Non-modular 500W Power Supply

(Think that's all the important stuff covered, but if anything is missing let me know)

Now, as i'm new to pc gaming, i really don't know how to check if my pc meets minimum requirements.

The only way i know how, is by looking on Passmark site and seeing how my parts score against the minimum requirements parts score. Is this wrong? Because i have been laughed at for that.

If i am right in checking that way, then my cpu is just under minimum.

Yet people keep telling me that my cpu does in fact meet the minimum. So i'm just really confused about that firstly.

If my cpu doesn't meet the minimum, then i can upgrade it. But i'm on a budget of £180.

So i'm considering an Intel i5 4690k

I'm almost possitive that's compatible with everything, but i'm unsure of if i need to then upgrade the cpu cooler or power supply too. I really know nothing about either of those things. And i really don't want this to turn into a big pc building mission ha

As far as how i would be playing Fallout 4.....

I'm more concerned about gameplay than graphics. I won't be adding any texture mods till probably a year down the line when it starts looking really shabby. But i will be adding other mods. So i'm hoping to really get medium settings, cause if i start off too low on settings, then adding mods is going to be a problem down the line.

Oh and as far as resolution goes, i didn't even know you could run games at higher than your monitor till recently, so yeh....native resolution hehe :blush:

Any help or insight here would be greatly appreciated cause i'm kind of lost :smile:

Thankyou

Edited by Puddycat

You are probably secure in having at least the recommended minimum. I doubt you'll need the most powerful just to play FO4. Your HDD is likely the biggest bottleneck, being a HDD and not a SSD. I doubt the game will use over 4gb, cuz that cuts half the possible gamers off from even purchasing. But we won't know until they actually post the recommended hardware setup. :)

They have posted it

Minimum

• Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
  • Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 30 GB free HDD space
  • NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent
Recommended
  • Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
  • Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 30 GB free HDD space
  • NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

And i do have an SSD too, it's listed there. I have 60gig free space on it so can put Fallout 4 on there :)

Ok, firsly i'm sorry if i ever sound a bit thick at any point here, but i'm pretty new to pc gaming. My old pc could only ever run really old games so i recently had one made. My budget was pretty low so i aimed to keep costs low but I tried to make sure i had room for upgrade. I was also trying to go for something similar performance to an Xbox one, so that i could be confident it would run new games fairly well. Well....i guess i failed cause as far as i can see, it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Fallout 4.

Asus Z97-P

Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5

8GB DDR3

Kingston 120GB SSD

(Think that's all the important stuff covered, but if anything is missing let me know)

Now, as i'm new to pc gaming, i really don't know how to check if my pc meets minimum requirements.

The only way i know how, is by looking on Passmark site and seeing how my parts score against the minimum requirements parts score. Is this wrong? Because i have been laughed at for that.

Yet people keep telling me that my cpu does in fact meet the minimum. So i'm just really confused about that firstly.

If my cpu doesn't meet the minimum, then i can upgrade it. But i'm on a budget of £180.

I'm almost possitive that's compatible with everything, but i'm unsure of if i need to then upgrade the cpu cooler or power supply too. I really know nothing about either of those things. And i really don't want this to turn into a big pc building mission ha

I'm more concerned about gameplay than graphics. I won't be adding any texture mods till probably a year down the line when it starts looking really shabby. But i will be adding other mods. So i'm hoping to really get medium settings, cause if i start off too low on settings, then adding mods is going to be a problem down the line.

Oh and as far as resolution goes, i didn't even know you could run games at higher than your monitor till recently, so yeh....native resolution hehe :blush:

Any help or insight here would be greatly appreciated cause i'm kind of lost :smile:

Thankyou

Your i3 just beats the min. req.

Yout GPU is more powerful than that. It's ~35% lower than the rec. req.

You could tweak the game and you should be able to play at 1600x900 (medium settings) with reasonable frame-rates.

--------------

Don't rely on the min. req., and go higher if you can.

Especialy on newer games as TW3, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront and so on...

btw, what's you budget ???

Asus Z97-P

Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5

8GB DDR3

Kingston 120GB SSD

Thankyou

Your i3 just beats the min. req.

Yout GPU is more powerful than that. It's ~35% lower than the rec. req.

You could tweak the game and you should be able to play at 1600x900 (medium settings) with reasonable frame-rates.

--------------

Don't rely on the min. req., and go higher if you can.

Especialy on newer games as TW3, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront and so on...

btw, what's you budget ???

Awesome! Exactly what i needed to know, thankyou!

So when i do upgrade the cpu at xmas then that will just be an added bonus :)

My budget is £180, that's why i was thinking of the i5 4690k. Seems to be the best in that price range. I really can't go over £180.

So would i be right in thinking that with the i5 4690k, then i am much nearer to the recommended than the minimum? That's what i'm aiming for since the mods will have a huge impact further down the road

Awesome! Exactly what i needed to know, thankyou!

So when i do upgrade the cpu at xmas then that will just be an added bonus :smile:

My budget is £180, that's why i was thinking of the i5 4690k. Seems to be the best in that price range. I really can't go over £180.

So would i be right in thinking that with the i5 4690k, then i am much nearer to the recommended than the minimum? That's what i'm aiming for since the mods will have a huge impact further down the road

The i5-4690K is near the recommended requirements.

I thing you should be able to play at 1080p if you tweak the options *menu settings a bit.

Thing at Skyrim options menu with some more options

Edited by mark5916

The i5-4690K is near the recommended requirements.

I thing you should be able to play at 1080p if you tweak the options *menu settings a bit.

Thing at Skyrim options menu with some more options

I don't even understand resolutions or know how to change them :blush: . I just change it to my screen size normally, so i'll be happy with that ha

Thanks so much for your help! I can now buy with confidence :D

I don't even understand resolutions or know how to change them :blush: . I just change it to my screen size normally, so i'll be happy with that ha

Thanks so much for your help! I can now buy with confidence :D

Keep your *native monitor screen resolution (*your highest monitor resolution. So if your montor is a full HD monitor it's 1920x1080),

and keep that resolution or lower it, through the in-game Fallout 4 options menu under Resolutions.

That's all actually...

Edited by mark5916