Modding Race Question

vemerce

Hello. Can someone tell me what would be required to add a custom Race icon and rename a race? For instance, if I wanted to add an alternate line of Elves... How would I go about add the new variation, renaming them, and setting an icon for them?

I've tried searching for this info, but it doesn't look like anyone has ever attempted to add a new racial variation before?

Thanks!

I tried that very thing with "Hobbits", a dwarf shrank down to 0.60 scale. First, creating a new character, I could get the race identifier to work but it wouldn't show the actual hobbit, I had to add the hobbit manually after character generation. All worked fine until the Joining at Ostagar , there the game broke with Daveth and Jory still alive and following my hobbit around like puppies, and no other trigger working.

I can add hobbit followers and hobbit NPCs to the game and they work just fine, the game acknowledges them as a race distinct. I have yet to create a homeland for them though, Something about shrinking all those huts, buildings and rooms to fit their scale is a bit much.

Edited by DwainDibley

I got it working again by manually deleting Jory and Daveth, and changing the race of the hobbit from its "10" to that of a dwarf "1". I put it back on "10" before entering the tower of Ishal, only to have the game brake again after killing the ogre on the top floor, everybody just stood around looking dumbly at each other. I figure it had to do with the story line being hard coded towards race and hobbit "10" ain't in it.

I suppose if I were artistically inclined I could have created icons for the hobbits, as well as the Qunari females I have scattered about the game, but I'm not so, I just use what's available.

Edited by DwainDibley

My first suggestion would be to use the toolset wiki, a LOT

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Main_Page

Then I would suggest making sure that your new race didn't conflict with the existing races:

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/RACE_*

For changing an existing race, yes, there are icons and text that can be changed to reflect the revised information.

To ADD a NEW race, there is a lot of work that has to be done so that the game correctly identifies the race as valid. There is a lot of information on the toolset wiki, sufficient to add a new race if that is what you want to do.

Okay, so I've set my sights a bit lower now.

I've decided that I want to instead add an individual character and have the game recognize him as a Qunari. I figured the easiest way would be to edit the save file and make his race 4. Then I load the game and it correctly lists his race as being Qunari, but now the icon below that for his Origin is just a gray square and says nothing when you mouse over it.

I'm assuming this is because the Qunari are not flagged somewhere as being a playable race and/or they're not authorized to have a background. Anyone know what I would need to fix to make this work?

Okay, so I've included a picture just to show exactly what I'm talking about. Having the character flagged as a Dwarf works, even though Dwarves can't be Magi. So this has to be something specific to the Qunari.

Also, I've looked over the toolset wiki page and I can't find anything about adding custom races. The closest thing I can find is about adding custom classes.

Is there something I can tweak about the Qunari that will allow me to play a character that is flagged as one or would I have to recreate the entire race with a new ID, but call it Qunari and use the same icon somehow?

Thanks!

http://www.starwarsbeyond.com/blog/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Example1.jpg

You would need to modify a LOT of files and change a large number of Core resources. Depending on how Bioware wrote code, there may also be a lot of places where the required conversations won't occur because the race/background/Origin of your GW isn't identified.

http://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset/index.php/Backgrounds_tutorial

comes closest to what you appear to be trying to do.

Hmm. I had originally thought that changing my Race would only remove any Race specific dialogue from NPCs.

It looks like the easiest way to achieve this goal would be to copy, say, the Human and give it a different ID behind the scenes (changing it to something other than 3 or 4) and renaming it to Qunari. Of course, I have no idea how to copy an entire race and change the ID.

I'm new to the toolset, and while the first screenshots above are mildly helpful, I could have really used some instruction as to how you get to the point of copying a race and making it appear in the Character Creation window with a new name to begin with. (I wasn't able to reverse engineer that based on the screenshot.)

But at least we figured out that for your "Hobbit" race the problem is it needs a different ID number because the game thinks they're a Spirit. Lol