Please tell me that the UI can be modded

MrChooChooHead

There is no rhyme or reason for the menu controls

TAB not ESC to go back

ESC to go back for one menu type

Action button to confirm for some menus but ENTER to confirm for others

LEFT CTRL & ALT to modify perks instead of WASD

WASD for some menus and UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT for others

ive even changed WASD and when you lockpick you still need to use A & D and not the reassigned buttons :/

how do they break from universal standards to this jumbled mess?

please tell me that this could be modded at some point to make it resemble FO3 of NV

Edited by MrChooChooHead

I'm pretty sure yes, but it might take a while. First we need an script extender that works, then it takes at least 2 months until the official mod tool comes out, maybe fo4edit comes out faster (skyrim was very moddable with it alone) and then people must find out the structure of all of it. I think that ui-mods came out before the official editor in skyrim, so i really hope that somebody fix this mess in the next week.

This remembers me what i hated the most in Skyrim: the time BEFORE SkyUI...

I'm pretty sure yes, but it might take a while. First we need an script extender that works, then it takes at least 2 months until the official mod tool comes out, maybe fo4edit comes out faster (skyrim was very moddable with it alone) and then people must find out the structure of all of it. I think that ui-mods came out before the official editor in skyrim, so i really hope that somebody fix this mess in the next week.

This remembers me what i hated the most in Skyrim: the time BEFORE SkyUI...

At least skyrim has some standardisation in its menues. god... thinking about skyrims UI makes me nostalgic for it. I wanted to kill myself when i tried making a structure. I have just over 2 hours of playtime. goodbye steam refund

Yep definitely need to be able to remap the keyboard. numpad is "reserved" and I physically cannot use wasd for movement without constantly making sure my fingers are placed correctly over the right keys because of nerve damage making my left hand eternally numb pinky has like 10% feeling and it goes up with each finger as I get to the thumb which is like 80% feeling. I have to use arrow keys so I know where my fingers are and always use Numpad 0 for jump because I can feel the arrows keys easy enough to know my fingers are positioned.

The more I try to work around the blocked numpad, the worse the interface looks. Very inconsistent. The same action uses different keys in different menus, reserved keys (again), hardcoded keys in some menus regardless of keymaps...

I did dig enough to find there's apparently no keymap file in the interface ba2 file, so it will be harder than with Skyrim I think.

I don't know if the SkyUI folks, who seem to have figured out the proprietary flash menus, will be on the case or not. I never saw the changes they made documented, I hope someone has that "tutorial."

The more I try to work around the blocked numpad, the worse the interface looks. Very inconsistent. The same action uses different keys in different menus, reserved keys (again), hardcoded keys in some menus regardless of keymaps...

I did dig enough to find there's apparently no keymap file in the interface ba2 file, so it will be harder than with Skyrim I think.

I don't know if the SkyUI folks, who seem to have figured out the proprietary flash menus, will be on the case or not. I never saw the changes they made documented, I hope someone has that "tutorial."

There's this encrypted txt file: "ControlMap_Custom.txt" in "MyGames\Fallout4". 324bytes, a bit large. Could it be it where the [Controls] from the old FalloutPrefs.ini are stored?

There's this encrypted txt file: "ControlMap_Custom.txt" in "MyGames\Fallout4". 324bytes, a bit large. Could it be it where the [Controls] from the old FalloutPrefs.ini are stored?

I haven't taken it apart yet, but it appears to just be the keybinds you changed in the control menu.

In Skyrim, there was a larger controlmap file in the interface BSA, there doesn't appear to be anything like that in FO4. I (and others) have pulled apart the ba2 file and haven't found anything but lots of individual Flash menus.

Pip-Boy UI is a horrible affront to PC gamers... so hard to sort through the 50 tons of crap we gather around. The actual inventory UI is, what, 25% of screen real estate?

One thing that bugs me is the dialog responses. The arrow keys/mouse is awkward, why not WASD, which your fingers are probably already on?

Yep definitely need to be able to remap the keyboard. numpad is "reserved" and I physically cannot use wasd for movement without constantly making sure my fingers are placed correctly over the right keys because of nerve damage making my left hand eternally numb pinky has like 10% feeling and it goes up with each finger as I get to the thumb which is like 80% feeling. I have to use arrow keys so I know where my fingers are and always use Numpad 0 for jump because I can feel the arrows keys easy enough to know my fingers are positioned.

Ditto. I have no injury, the arrow keys are just the way I play because I like the space.

I can't believe they reserved the number pad keys again....Argh