Holstered Weapons

FusionCola

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something I really want. I guess bethesda assumed no one would ever play the game in 3rd person so why bother, but they forgot that you can see all the NPC's who seem to suddenly pull guns and sledgehammers out their behinds. Would be nice knowing what kind of firepower an enemy packs before engaging.

It's embarrassing that something that should be standard in modern games has been reduced to a feature, and a missing feature in this case.

Given the improvements made to character cosmetics through the inital creation system and layered armor, it's shocking that they would then take this many steps back, and even go back game generations.

It's a joke for something like this to be an issue in a modern AAA game, and worse their false advertising shows the character with the gun on their back.

I hope that it's as simple as changing an ini setting, but if bethesderp made it impossible for the modders to fix this laughable piece of game design, then the most doable thing would be to use the layered armor system to create concealed holsters for back, waist, legs etc and ensure that guards, soldiers and hostile NPCs always have their weapons in hand.

I was brainstorming on the subjecy on my way to work this morning and this idea came to my mind:

Since now we have layered armors for various body parts. Why not make holster an equipable and upgradable item for back?

Here is my ideas for upgrade choices:

Armored Holster: additional balistic and energy defence for hits taken from back.

Lightened Holser: decrease in the weight of the equipped weapon as long as it staye equipped of course

Quick Draw holster: weapon draw speed is increased

Modders?

Edited by Trooperr

Here's another idea, which could actually work really well. When in third person, what if holstered weapons instead got put in the position you hold weapons after not attacking for a while. (basically what the lowered weapon mod does)

But the difference is that this would be the holstered stance would be.

Thoughts?

Edit: A problem would be that if you use third person a lot, you probably wouldn't be able to tell if you had your weapon out already or not. Maybe not on that.

Weren't there some .ini edits that were used to have additional sheathed/holstered weapons to skyrim?

If we could use ol' nifskope to check if the weapon and body meshes have have a attach point to back it might already be possible before geck release.

As for it being difficult due to body types, i disagree, it wouldn't/shouldn't be any more difficult than skyrim. We had skinny/fat character types then (rarely used for NPC's) and different races entirely. Only complexity i see, is that due to the way the power armor is designed, pulling a weapon off your back might not work too well.

Using MGSV as an example i wouldn't necessarily recommend. Most of the holster points were fine but having a Rifle sized weapon attached to the hip never looked right, and most of the similar weapons in Fallout 4 are quite bulky. i think a couple of small size weapons on hips/upper thighs with 1 to 2 medium to large on back.

EDIT- Just tried the ini edit i was thinking of bDisableGearedUp=0, appeared to have no effect.

Edited by DeMocha