Changing the follower weapons that have unlimited ammo

tase

Preface: I want to change what weapon Cait uses. Shes awful with the shotgun, her AI makes her try to snipe with it. I'dd like to either make her use whatever weapon she has in her inventory w/o having to worry about ammo or change her companion weapon to Piper's 10mm.

I'm not too sure how FO4 determines which weapon companions use "by default".

I'm looking at Cait in TES5Edit with Fallout4.esm loaded, and she doesn't have any reference to her weapon, CompCaitShotgun (or something alike).

Piper has her CompPiper10mm in her inventory/items, while Cait only has her baseball bat (that she never uses, due to her combat style being skewed for ranged 10 to 1).

Also I didn't see anything special about the CompPiper10mm and CompCaitShotgun that flagged it as requiring no ammo, though this might be a record that TES5Edit can't read yet.

So, I didn't really mod FONV or FO3, but how are companion weapons usually handled ? Is it loaded up in the companionactorscript, or is it defined in the NPC record, or is there an other section that binds companions/npcs to equipement ?

Their weapons are scripted as part of the follower quest like Skyrim and Lydias shield. Bethesda should've learned that giving followers a weapon in this way makes them use it over all others even if it is vastly inferior. How to make them use whatever they have in their inventory is the same as removing Lydias shield and that's changing the follower quest.

I see it, thanks. I think scripts are only accessible (or at least recompiled?) via the CK, so it's not something that can be modded right now.

Companions so far do use "better" weapons. Such as when I tell Cait to pick up a Laser Rifle, she'll use it until she runs out of ammo. Also I can make her equip weapons. Actually I'll try that right now, giving her a pipe gun and some .38, she how she behaves.

My only issue is that I have to feed her ammo.

Well it's not really a script that does it, there is a script that controls it. In the followers quest you can assign gear to an NPC and a script will give it to them. If feeding ammo is an issue get the ID number for the ammo and use the console to add 100k worth of ammo and that should last quite a long time.

I didn't know they will use weapons if you tell them to pick it up... Time to "give" Piper a Silenced Assault rifle and 100k 5.56 ammo lol.

My only issue is that I have to feed her ammo.

I actually kinda like that.

The only thing that sucks, is that the NPCs are too dumb to switch to another weapon if they run out of ammo for their assigned gun.

ps.: I recommend giving them slowfiring, powerful weapons, otherwise they'll chew through your ammo-reserves in no time.

Edited by Tajin

QUESTIONS:

- How hard would it be to make an item only usable by companions that gives INFINITE ammo? Basicly, companion-only ammo-cheat. Maybe "bullets" and cells etc, not missiles or mini-nukes... You know...

- How hard would it be to be able to mod the current followers weapon via crafting bench? Basicly, every time you go craft, theres an option to tweak the current/stock/base gun they hold

- I make a mod-req for the infinite companion ammo a while back. Made FO3 and NV soooooo very fun, how hard would it be to convert those mods to FO4?

Edited by swatti

There's already companion ammo available, most of the energy ammo and the .50 doesn't exist. With the CK it wouldn't be hard to add the missing ones and then add them all to each companions inventory either directly or as part of a quest alias,

I wouldn't bother making their weapon craftable, add it to inventory, make it playable so it can be removed and better added. Once there are mod weapons available you will probably not want them using the junk.

Both of those and many other considerations will most likely be addressed with all the follower mods to come once the CK is out.