Raiders spawning inside walled off settlement?

mac2636

The AI and the settlement scripts don't really take account of walls, which boggles my mind, because it's *literally* the first thing I and a lot of other people thought of - controlling access.

As it turns out, the scripts reward you for "gaming the rules" by building relatively unnatural settlements. I admit my refusal to do so is a little bit OCD, but I'm hoping someone will re-script to take account of *really obvious* things like walls and creature comforts and defenses that actually work when you're not present. That sort of thing. I build those anyway because I'm not playing a slumlord. Even though the NPCs don't use anything but chairs and beds and stoves.

It's not like there's a manual or help system. I had to learn all of this from forums because in addition to bugfixes, Bethesda has outsourced their manuals to the audience.

I know that Sanctuary has a spawn point that is technically inside the settlement boundaries. How do I know? I have fast traveled there many times ans have observed where the initial fighting usually occurs. I have taken note of this and did the following:

1. Quick-save often

2. Get the message that settlement is under attack.

3. Fast travel there to see where the action is taking place.

4. Reload the game with the quick-save

5. Fast travel to the settlement

6. Wait

7. At this point, the attack will happen ... there appears to be some kind of in-game generator that assure that it will happen.

8. Study where the spawn points are

Or ... you can use the Settlement Software Management MOD ... this is much much easier, and it will tag the spawn points for you.

I have found the three spawn points to Sanctuary are:

1. In the river next to the main bridge in town. To the right of the bridge as you are looking out of town.

2. In the river just after the small bridge on the road connecting to Vault 111

3. In the back / side yard of the bloat-fly house. This one is actually inside the settlement boundaries.

What I did was setup structures and place five(5) missile turrets each directed at these spawn points. I also made sure that the generators are built inside of structures and cannot be touched by any invaders...

This seems to work for me.

Using that Settlement Management Software MOD has really helped give me insight to what the Bethesda game designers were thinking about when they introduced their Settlement raiding mechanic into the game.

I have found the three spawn points to Sanctuary are:

1. In the river next to the main bridge in town. To the right of the bridge as you are looking out of town.

2. In the river just after the small bridge on the road connecting to Vault 111

3. In the back / side yard of the bloat-fly house. This one is actually inside the settlement boundaries.

Aaaah, your information is much more accurate than mine; little Raider bastards fooled me,(or at least Bethesda did...). Gonna have to check out this Settlement Management Software MOD.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

There appears to be multiple types of attacks. Some of the mods have helped.

I've fast-travelled to Tenpines and encountered a Gunner attack and it looked like it originated on one of the spawn points marked by the Settlement Management Software. The bodies were there at least. One pile of ashes from either a heavy laser turret or Preston Garvey (since I exil-er, reassigned him there to avoid the constant Minuteman missions) got that one.

The Red Rocket location got hit once by a Gunner attack, started by a quest given by one of the settlers there. I think they spawned at the site down the road. It's also been hit by Super Mutants, but they had the note giving them orders, so that was likely a band spawned by a random encounter (there's a spawn point for them along the river/lakeshore near the dock that's spawned mongrels, radstags, some of Pickman's victims, and various Super Mutants) and isn't affected by the spawn points listed. I suspect they spawned either at that location or another point and wandered over to Red Rocket.

After I finished one of the story missions I got an alert of an attack on County Crossing and the Don't Call Me Settler mod marked a Withered Feral Ghoul for me. I got there. No attack, but there was still a marker for the ghoul and it was steadily getting closer. I waited and a small horde appeared, but they didn't come from any of the spawn points. The first glance at the marker on the map had the marked ghoul somewhere past the National Guard Training Yard.

So I guess it's specific spawn points and sometimes they spawn a distance from a settlement via one of the missions or a random encounter and move to it overland. The random encounter ones may be wandering to a different script. Haven't had the same band of super mutants got to Sanctuary, though I suspect the dog cage is attracting mongrels since those have attacked a few times.

A lot of discussion that IGNORES the cheap-n-nasty coding br Beth that PURPOSELY causes this problem in the first place.

Settlements were a LATE edition when the PS3 version of FO4 was finally cancelled, and Beth found they could exploit the far greater memory resources of the remaining target systems. Settlements (like a lot of additions in FO4) were simply ripped-off from popular mods for FO3 and NV.

The gameplay concept of settlements was not worked out at all- frankly Beth had better things to do (knowing that FO4 would sell well regardless). Cynical is Beth's middle name.

Given how much game functionality is hard-coded in FO4, the best approach would be to petition Beth to provide the option to permanently DISABLE vanilla raids on settlement areas in a future game update. WHY? Cos players could then re-introduce Settlement raids via MODS - mods that would be far more sensibly scripted to take account of how players develop and defend their settlements. A mod could, perhaps, allow the player to craft raid spawn points at locations that made sense for the geographic design of their settlement.

Sorry, but Beth's baked-in stuff is always going to be very dumb, so simply having the option to disable it and replace it with better functionality via mods will always be the way to go. But Beth will probably have to be nice enough to add disabling functionality in future game updates, as I said.