Oblivion.ini is making the game crash...but I need it!

fulgate

Only possibilities that come to mind are either UAC messing with you (assuming you are using a Windows version later than Windows XP) or your archive invalidation isn't working. I use the archive invalidation from Wrye Bash myself, but I believe it just uses the same dummy BSA as ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated! ... do you have a file named ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa in your game's Data folder? If so then confirm that your Oblivion.ini file (NOT Oblivion_Default.ini found in the game's Oblivion folder) has the following entry:

sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Voices1.bsa, Oblivion - Voices2.bsa, Oblivion - Misc.bsa

The UAC issue will be if you installed the game (or Steam if you use the Steam version of the game) in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) and are running Windows Vista, 7, 8.0/8.1 or 10.

Something that occurs to me that may work is delete the files hand.nif, foot.nif, upperbody.nif and lowerbody.nif from your game's Data\meshes\characters\_male folder. This will put you back to using vanilla meshes from Oblivion - Meshes.bsa. Start the game and confirm you are now seeing the game default diaper and not Roberts loincloth. If so then copy the four files from your extracted download RT\bodytypes\Scrawny folder and see what happens.

Thank you for your suggestions, but they didn't help me. The game was not installed under either Program Files folder (I have the Steam GOTY Deluxe ver.) and although the ArchiveinvalidationInvalidated! line had been lost from the .ini file, after I re-added it it did not fix the problem. And the loincloths I am seeing are not Robert's nice ones, they are the vanilla diaper-loincloths.

I'm just going to skip this one and play Skyrim. It's on sale.