ATI Driver v.6.14.10.6396

Baphomet

Did anyone else experience problems with the latest Catalyst driver (v.6.14.10.6396) for their ATI video card, because I sure as heck did when coupled with my 8500LE (128Mb).

My game, and my video in general (MOST noticeably my screensaver (Mercury Pool from Windows XP Plus!, if it matters)), suffered from HORRIBLE flashing and flickering. It was SO bad when I first saw it, I freaked, thinking my monitor was on it's "last legs". Fortunately, the driver-roll back option brought everything back to normal.

I'm asking because now I'm wondering if maybe I just needed to adjust some settings or something... 'Like to be current on my vid drivers, obviously enough, but that was something else.

Yes, for some reason unknown to me, the latest Catalyst has been making Radeons run almost as bad as a GeForce FX... Rest assured that this is the only latest Catalyst version that will do this. Go back to 3.7 and you'll get much better performance. To be fair, ATI did say that this would be the most significant driver release to date -- sort of funny in the weird way the nVidia's "The way it's meant to be played" slogan is downright hilarious.

Archived