Counter for # of idle settlers, show current job on mouseover, assign random idle settler button

deathsythe47

Important simple changes for settlement building would be very nice:

• Counter displaying the number of idle settlers.
  • When you hover over a potential task (like farming a crop) in workshop view, there should be a button that says "assign idle settler" so that it can find a random idle settler and assign him to it. There is no sense trying to figure out which settler is idle and running around your settlement trying to find him. (Obviously, this button should be greyed out if there aren't any idle settlers)
  • Display text saying what job a settler is currently assigned to when you mouse over him in workshop view.

Yeah, a way to manage settlers and their jobs is greatly needed. They all look the same after a while and it's nearly impossible to guess which ones already have jobs.

Maybe we could also, or alternatively, have a system that auto-renames them from "Settler" to "Tato Farmer" etc

Whether through renaming or hover text, we just need some way to know.

Edited by deathsythe47

Maybe we could also, or alternatively, have a system that auto-renames them from "Settler" to "Tato Farmer" etc

Not quite as detailed as renaming them with a specific job like Tato Farmer, but there are a couple of mods that I have seen that allow you to rename NPCs including things like Farmer: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2017/? and http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3015/? Best ones that I have seen so far, auto-renaming as stated would be better of course.

Edited by DragosDrakkar

Not quite as detailed as renaming them with a specific job like Tato Farmer, but there are a couple of mods that I have seen that allow you to rename NPCs including things like Farmer: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2017/? and http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3015/? Best ones that I have seen so far, auto-renaming as stated would be better of course.

Which do you think would be a better system: auto-renaming, or displaying a separate message like "Task: Farming Tato" ?

Which do you think would be a better system: auto-renaming, or displaying a separate message like "Task: Farming Tato" ?

Probably having the separate message, so that it wouldn't as likely interfere with the special named settlers. An even better way might be having a menu option that lists the settlers in that specific settlement, as well as their currently assigned tasks. Doing this might make it easier to change your provisioners without having to try and catch them in their home settlement.

Probably having the separate message, so that it wouldn't as likely interfere with the special named settlers. An even better way might be having a menu option that lists the settlers in that specific settlement, as well as their currently assigned tasks. Doing this might make it easier to change your provisioners without having to try and catch them in their home settlement.

Oh nice, that's an excellent idea.

What I want is two different settler related mods

One for giving settlers randomly generated names (I just find them all being called 'Settler' to be kind of impersonal considering they live in your settlements, I want settlers that I can care about and them having names would help with that).

The second for adding text under the name of settlers that tells you what their job is (though honestly most of the mod ideas mentioned in this thread have been great).

I also want a mod that allows you to assign 'policies' that apply to certain groups of settlers (by job) or just apply to your whole settlement, like a dress-code policy. For example you choose the 'Farming Uniform Policy' in a menu then all your farmer settlers wear the chosen uniform while farming (the uniform could be customizable). Also the ability to assign beds, buildings and areas to individuals and groups would be cool. You could set up a guard baracks and give everyone their own bed so noone sleeps in your bed that is inside your house.

There's just so much I wish could be done with settlements and most of it will have to wait for the GECK to come out.