Help, Setstage mistake

jjmounes

Initial thieves guild quest "TG00FindThievesGuild" was glitched- Armand wouldn't start the race to steal the book. Used setstage 30, then 100 to force the quest to complete. Now stuck, Armand still wont give me thieves guild quests. What do I do? I there ANY way in HELL to reset setstage commands? Any way I can just blank slate this one quest? I can't find any helpful information anywhere.

Here's the UESP Wiki walkthrough for Finding the Thieves Guild. Note that after stage 40 (where you are told how to find the Thieves Guild) it jumps to stage 100 (quest completion). It isn't until you start the next quest May the Best Thief Win (TG01BestThief) that the race starts. Check your journal Completed Quests to make sure that Find the Thieves Guild is completed.

These same notes are at the bottom of each walkthrough (emphasis added):

Notes

Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.

Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.

If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.

On the PC, it is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering setstage TG01BestThief stage, where stage is the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.