We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Love

OddGuy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm... it is hard to put in words. :huh:

I'll try anyway though.

I think of love as wanting to do what ever is nessassary to help that person, even if it means risking your own well being. I also think of love as being a way of saying how sad/depressed/lonely you would be if the person you loved was gone.

Has anyone noticed that there is a line between what males and females think of love. Not nessisarily in this post but in general life.

I notice a general difference in what males and females claim they think about love in real life. Seriously though, on the general they think the same things, us males are just often more closed up about it.

No, it's related biologically. The two are treated as different nowadays (sex and love) but they are really just different expressions of the same basic functions, although humans, being a social animal, take it a bit further. This is also seen in other social animals such as wolves and dolphins. Affection helps keep the group surviving, because they care about each other, therefore it is selective for group members to care about other group members.

The reason love is so hard to describe is because it is an emotion that comes from the very depths of the sub-concious. You can't truly make yourself love someone through a concious effort. Another reason is that love exists in too many forms and levels of intensity. Love can develop in nearly any type of relationship.

What we usually think of as love, as in love between two people, is the pinnacle of a relationship when the idea of the self becomes blurred with the other person, so that you feel that without one the other simply couldn't exist.

Love is the most intense feeling of greed. Don't get me wrong I don't think that greed is always a bad thing, it is neccessary for survival. When you are in love with someone you will do anything for them to keep them safe or happy because by doing so you yourself stay happy. Kind of a darker way to look at it but IMHO everything we do is deeply intertwined with various levels of greed.

Bah, Humans and your emotions. Can't you see that all love really is is a bunch of chemicals stimulating the brain, And that all it really is is the drive for sex?

(In need of some serious LOVIN')

Naw, I keed I keed. I think that it isn't so much about love as it is about Emotions. Emotions are what seperate us from the beasts and animals. Well, that, highly developed brains, and opposable thumbs...<_<

One of the difficulties in trying to define any emotion, including love, is that they cannot be experienced vicariously. Whatever other people say, you can only experience them yourself. This adds two further difficulties, you can only speak within the level of your own experience and that such experience is relative. For instance, only when we know the state of 'not being happy' can we begin to define when we are happy and what makes us feel that way. The younger we are the less easy it is to define what love means to us. In the hormonal years of the early to mid teens it is mixed up with lust, infatuation, hero-worship, the desire to be liked and many other complicating factors. In all probabilty you cannot start to understand what love means to you until you begin to realise that something is missing from your life. In other words you have to have been in love and lost it to know. As you grow into adulthood (those who do grow mentally, not everyone does) you will also begin to isolate the aspects of lust etc. that are short-term and quickly satisfied as against the deeper more intense (and not entirely pleasant) feelings associated with love.

The tragedy of it remains that, even then, you often do not recognise it until it has gone.