Shivering Isles

ohtash

Are you installed in C:\Program Files\... and have you disabled UAC? My own Oblivion is on a machine with Windows XP, and the only other install I have done is on my daughter's machine and I installed her's in C:\Games\Oblivion (it's a Windows 7 machine). That UAC interferes with some programs installed in C:\Program Files is well documented ... do a Wikipedia search on it. If your mileage differs more power to you.

If you read through the Wiki I linked you'll see there are options for dealing with UAC. For the most part for games, the easiest to implement is install outside Program Files. I was lucky in that before I installed on my daughter's machine I'd seen the problems that UAC has caused, documented through these forums. Whenever I can, I like to get off on the right foot.

Edit: I only log in as administrator to do tasks that require administrator level (but I'm one of the few fortunate ones running XP). My normal log-in is a Power User account, something that sadly disappeared with XP (it's kind of a middle ground level between normal user account and administrator). I have a couple of tasks that require elevated privilege, modified to Run As status at log-in, a bit of a pain but I like my MSI Afterburner. My laptop has Vista ... if it ever gives me a reason I'll install XP (I have 3 unused OEM copies). Maybe I'll be a Windows 8 customer.

Edited by Striker879

Nah, I don't miss 'crash 98 times a day' and was lucky enough to avoid ME altogether. When XP was going out of stock at retail I loaded up. I'll probably be left with one or two unused copies when it reaches EOL and Microsoft stops issuing security updates. They'll force my hand then I guess. Maybe Linux game support will be more mainstream by then (ya I know ... dreamer).

I didn't have a chance to fully read through the page you sent me yet, I uninstalled oblivion though and tried to reinstall under a different location. It now crashes at start-up. So I uninstalled and reinstalled to default location, same thing, crashes at start up. I really don't know what else I'm supposed to do. I feel like everything I'm doing is making it worse.

Actually ohtash that Wiki link was aimed more at dallen68, apologies for highjacking your thread.

I've just had a read through the whole thread again and I see that bben46 didn't link you to his uninstall/re-install guide. The DVD uninstall method is the most sure-fire and don't neglect to download and run CCleaner. Left over registry entries can cause continuing problems with your re-install, it's an essential step to getting a complete and correct job done.

I recently installed the GotY edition on my daughter's machine to C:\Games\Oblivion without a hitch on a Windows 7 machine. It can be done. Get off on the right foot with bben46's guide.