piracy?

pwnedbyscope

I for one (and i guess i am pretty alone in this judging by the responses here) actualy do take the time to read the TOS and other such information.

Once you've read one TOS, you know all of them, if you know what I mean.
Not necessarily, they all say pretty much the same thing but different sites also have different rules (for example the difference between this site the Nexus and the "other" site the Underground)

In response to the common sense thing, I may step on a few toes but Common sense isn't something you are just born with. Your parents are supposed to teach that to you at an early stage in life, however with all the PC things out there of what you can and can't say or do to your child (I.E Beat the Crap outta your kid for taking a shovel to the dogs head 0.o, yes i read that in a news clipping somewhere, the father got prison, not jail, time for a year i think) Sorry but I am not going to raise my kid to be stupid so yes he will get a spanking for the "stupid" stuff he does (the legal wording states that you may not leave any long term (i think an hour or two? or something like that been awhile since i looked that up) marks on your child, again that should be common sense but it is not. So all you young ones out there that don't have kids but plan to in the future, for (Insert your deity here) sake teach your kids right from wrong... that is really all common sense is

It's like this. Since the majority of PC games out there are pirated copies far far more than legit copies, I think a lot of gamers assume the TOS is just to cover the site's behind. They are assuming the staff here do it, too, and most of the members. On some sites I have been to for another game, I did get the impression that was true on some of them. So they expect that if they post or ask in chat here, they might get a mild warning but they will also get a PM with info they want. I'm sure a lot of people are surprised when they get banned. They would be even if they read the TOS. Some of them are coming here from sites where the official TOS isn't the real TOS.

From the commonality and the annoying promotion of the attitude that highly moddable games are, by virtue of that fact, incomplete and somehow second rate, then it really doesn't surprise me that we get so many roll in - afterall, they're not going to pay for some 'garbage' just because it's required hurdle for them to run sublime and godly user made addons :rolleyes:

Additionally, like it or not, the site does technically have illegal content on it too, so while some may see a glowing community, like a nice park on a sunny day, nurturing creativity and goodwill where you would not expect so many pirates, more cynical gits like me also see kudos hunters stopping off in the Mos Eisley cantina for an hour to dabble in dodgy wares. :tongue:

I wonder where the kid got the idea to 'take a shovel to" the dog's head? From the same guy who responded with a level of violence that warranted jail time? :whistling:

^an example of common sense: the ability to actually connect the dots.

Many sites use a 'canned' TOS that they get from the 'canned' website they use. Some actually make some changes to the 'canned' TOS. The Nexus is a unique site as the actual code has been heavily modified to do just what Dark0ne wants it to do. I guarantee the TOS on these sites is not 'canned' and has been refined significantly, just as the rest of the site has.

If you didn't read the rules because they are 'probably' the same as any other site, you are in for a surprise. :whistling:

Our TOS is not there just to cover us from legal action, (Several formerly well known pirate sites will tell you that doesn't work anyway) but to be a guide as to what we will and will not accept here. The staff doesn't ban just because we can. We actually try to follow the TOS in our rulings.

Other sites may allow things we do not. As it is their site, they get to make and enforce (or not) their own rules. Here we do enforce the rules. And in the case of piracy we bring the hammer down quickly as we do not wish to become just another pirate site where you can find stolen content. As for why, we have found that warnings don't take, Once sombody learns they can get away with asking for stolen game materials, they accept the warning as a part of the price. Then, other people see them getting away with it and start changing the site into just another pirate haven.

We strive in the tone of the language used to emphasize that piracy will not be tolerated in any way. If you are dumb enough (back to common sense) to advertise that you are a thief (Yes, thats exactly what pirates are) then you WILL be banned.

As many have said, common sense is no longer common, and has become "rare sense" instead.

I may be young, but I still think I've got this rare sense, so it's not all of us who have lost that! :P

That said, piracy has become a daily business of many youngsters, and few think of it even as something bad, as it's just "what they do". Sad, but true: Most young people just don't care...

"Once you've read one TOS, you know all of them, if you know what I mean."

Doesn't apply here though. This site runs a tighter ship than most other gaming sites with regard to good manners and bad language, for a start. Also the instaban for piracy-related topics is harsher than some other websites (and I'm OK with that, personally) :thumbsup:

I don't know how you could force new applicants to read the terms prior to registration though. I guess a lot of them just want to sign up asap to download the mods.

Piracy these days i think has gotten seriously out of hand, but in the world of google and the like it is also hard to do a search for something simple without being bombarded with myriad of sites that offer such things, I go back to my saying that it is the parents responsiblity to teach the kids that stealing is wrong, and yes that is exactly what piracy is you are stealing something that someone else has. The homelife has become so chaotic and sped up in modern times that one doesn't usually sit back and think about what lack of instruction does or causes, then they wonder why their child is the one going out and boosting their "collection of Warez" just to get caught and the parents have to pay for it (I am an old adage user so i will insert one here "As you make your bed, so you must lie upon it")

In response to greywaste part of the TOS is the reporting of such things if it is illegal it is partly on you (the user, not you specifically) to inform those in charge that such procedures/practices are taking place

Myrmaad I agree that what the guy did ( It says he beat him, but with Biasness in the news and who is to say that the kid didn't receive a spanking and not a beating though?) was uncalled for. However i don't agree with the other part of your statement 100%. You but only have to turn on the TV or walk around in the schools today, we as a society let a lot more slip through than used to; however as parents it is our responsibility to teach our kids what is approved and what is disapproved behavior. This is the part that i find is seriously lacking in today's age. If I have told my son to not do something (i.e. pull the dogs tail) More then a few times the next time i have to say it yes he is going to receive a little pop on his behind or a pop on his hand for it. Consider the alternative, sooner or later the dog is going to get fed up and all out bite him in the face or on his hand and draw blood. So i for one am a believer in Properly preformed corporal punishment (another ideal that is somehow lost today in the shuffle) Corproal punishment is a means to correct an undesired behavior by providing a consequence or the association of something bad with the act NOT as a means to relieve parental frustration