piracy?

pwnedbyscope

Offtopic food for thought: How does modeling violence not teach violence? (it's possible to teach a child not to pull the dog's tail without hitting or spanking. Ask me privately how I know if you like.)

I'd say the best way to get your kid not to do something, is by taking their computer for a while. As caught into the computer as kids are today, that is the best method! They'll practically do anything you say to get it back! (Or, if you don't give them any means of getting it back, they'll do things you don't want them to do to get it back though - so it can backfire on you^^)

myrmaad i have taken that discussion off of here since it is off topic you will find a message in your box. But in response to your
How does modeling violence not teach violence?
My archaic view on the subject is Unnecessary violence breeds Unnecessary violence. We as a human race are a violent people and have been from the git go (some say that we started our branch off from the "apes" by learning to use tools, tools for what? um Violence of course, to defend what was ours as well as getting the nutritional proteins that our brains need, i.e. meat and eggs.)

Can i just point out that the Terms of Service is common sense for people who don't have that function.

You gotta remember that most people will ignore any rules or ToS and just post. I do that, but i understand what forum rules usually are (No hurtful comments, no advertising, no flaming, etc). Sadly, nature has turned us all into impatient people. Last time i've read a ToS was when i was ill and ran out of things to do. I read iTunes ToS... It was hilarious, you can't use iTunes for nuclear warfare apparently.

Since the majority of PC games out there are pirated copies far far more than legit copies

Citation Needed

the site does technically have illegal content on it too

If you know of or suspect illegal content, you should report it and let the moderators determine whether or not it is. (surprised this statement slipped by bben) Nexus is hosted in the US and UK, both of which have fairly strong copyright laws, and is actually itself hosting and distributing the material, so if some of it is illegal in either country it's a potential serious liability.

If you know of or suspect illegal content, you should report it and let the moderators determine whether or not it is. (surprised this statement slipped by bben) Nexus is hosted in the US and UK, both of which have fairly strong copyright laws, and is actually itself hosting and distributing the material, so if some of it is illegal in either country it's a potential serious liability.

Well firstly it's going to happen on any site that relies upon user honesty and integrity. Secondly I don't always have the time involved hunting down scripts, extracting and opening models etc to compare.

Thirdly I don't own some of the games involved so can't always offer concrete proof and lastly some of these files have been 'File of the month' :tongue: and have spawned plenty of edits and retextures (probably innocent users who've been duped into thinking that it was created by the uploader in most cases I'm sure).

So yeah, do I really want to rat on people who are far more valuable and popular on a site than I am anyway :tongue: ?

The ones I will make extra effort on behalf of however are the scumbags who post daz/poser files that are expected to be paid for, since thats taking money straight out of people's wallets.

well in regards to your 2nd point you yourself said

the site does technically have illegal content on it too
um how do you know it is illegal if you didnt actually open the files themselves to see? 0.o

Against your 3rd point where you said

Thirdly I don't own some of the games involved so can't always offer concrete proof
if you can't provide the proof then how to you know it is illegal content >.<

In response to your

So yeah, do I really want to rat on people who are far more valuable and popular on a site than I am anyway public/style_emoticons/dark/tongue.gif ?
um yeah i would rather get one idiot gone than the whole site to have to go down because of one or two people that can't apparently read the rules or use common sense when posting something up

And lastly i have two concerns with this statement

The ones I will make extra effort on behalf of however are the scumbags who post daz/poser files that are expected to be paid for, since thats taking money straight out of people's wallets.
I for one am planning on using Daz/Poser content they do make stuff that is free to use you know? And how is posting someone else's stuff from one game into another not taking money out of someones pocket? stealing is still stealing regardless of how little or insignificant the matter being stolen is Edited by Riven1978

It's okay if you don't have time. The mods, busy as they are, will make time to verify a report of illegal content, since like I said it could be a potentially severe liability to the site. I'm sure it's a little higher on the priority scale than, say, a troll. You don't have to do the investigation yourself though I'm sure they would appreciate it if you did.

Since the majority of PC games out there are pirated copies far far more than legit copies

Is there any proof that this is even true. It seems to me that Valve is doing really well irregardless of piracy.

Edited by jhnsnjck884

Is there any proof that this is even true. It seems to me that Valve is doing really well irregardless of piracy.

No, actually the opposite is true. Pirated copies are a small minority (except maybe in the third world), and most of those are kids whose parents won't buy them the game(s).