blue screen problems running skyrim

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my CPU to run skyrim better. (I'm a little late on the PC version)

I moved up to an amd fx-8350 from my old phenom II and now I've had skyrim Blue screen my comp 3 times.

I checked the logs as to what happened and it seems that I had a bugcheck error... 14068 if my memory serves me well.

I BSOD'd when loading whiterun from the bannered mare, in solitude when I was testing if it'd happen again so I spawned 20 skeletons and mid combat got the BSOD, then in riverwood when fighting the 2 wolves that attack you before town when starting a new save.

The game doesn't seem to be running any better than it was. (same frame rate jumps and dives, same hangups on things)

I can get more info from the logs, but to me the codes are just strings of numbers and letters and don't really correspond to anything, so if you think posting something would help, lemme know and I'll find it.

System specs

Asrock 970 extreme 3 motherboard

AMD Fx - 8350 4.0 Ghz 8 core processor

8 gigs Ram

Nvidia GTX 960 Graphics card

Graphics card installed 2 weeks ago, new CPU installed this morning

Thanks in advance for any help.

Updated info:

I ran WhoCrashed before I posted this, but was on another computer at the time. this was the result of one of those 3 crashes.

On Fri 12/4/2015 6:36:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x00000000)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0x41EE16, 0xFFFFF880099D5A10, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

This processor must hate skyrim or something, I decided to do a full fresh install of the game and it BSOD'd again during the download. This resulted when I went to set up netflix while I waited.

On Fri 12/4/2015 9:11:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002E05502)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Edited by crimsonaralia

Does your motherboard need a BIOS update for that CPU? Check this against the ASRock site ("it boots so no" is not a valid response - many boards may boot with an incompatible BIOS/CPU combo and you get very unpredictable results). Is the PSU sufficient to power everything you have hooked up? Are you running a bunch of mods? Does the vanilla game work okay? Does a new game work okay?

800W Psu, I got plenty of wiggle room.

As for the bios update, I checked and it seems up to date, I'll poke around for some other possibilities on that. Some things I've seen suggested registry errors, viruses, etc. currently looking at a full reformat, since it seems to be happening with any games. some games just take longer for it to happen, but it has happened on the desktop.

800W Psu, I got plenty of wiggle room.

As for the bios update, I checked and it seems up to date, I'll poke around for some other possibilities on that. Some things I've seen suggested registry errors, viruses, etc. currently looking at a full reformat, since it seems to be happening with any games. some games just take longer for it to happen, but it has happened on the desktop.

See here: Bug Check 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

and here: Bug Check 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Edited by mark5916

Just got back to working on things, did a full system reformat last night.

Booted up skyrim, BSOD'd seconds into a new game fresh install.

On Sat 12/5/2015 10:48:21 PM GMT your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002DDA697, 0x1, 0x9645224)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
Google query: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Archeblade booted and seemed to run fine, but it also BSOD'd yesterday before the reformat after a couple hours, so it'd take too long for me to see if it did today.

Gonna look into those as well as if I can find the kmode exception today.
You'd think $460 worth of hardware would NOT explode in my face upon install... =.=
Anyone have any suspicions of a bootsector virus? just cause I know full reformats don't take care of those... I have a bios flasher button on my motherboard, but I'm saving that for last... really rather not delve into territory I've only heard in passing once or twice..

Use the low level format tool(s) from your HDD manufacturer (after you backed up your stuff), as a low level format destroys 100% of the data on the drive.

...and it's the only way to remove a virus that cannot be removed without destroying the boot sector. !!!

Edited by mark5916

You think it could be the case? I'm kinda hoping something else might be the cause...

I mean, that's last resort in my mind.

I'd rather have to buy new ram or something... (saw one person who changed ram and it fixed it.)

I don't know, have you the suspicion that your comp is infected by a virus?

Can you: Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.?

Edited by mark5916

Does your motherboard need a BIOS update for that CPU? Check this against the ASRock site ("it boots so no" is not a valid response - many boards may boot with an incompatible BIOS/CPU combo and you get very unpredictable results). Is the PSU sufficient to power everything you have hooked up? Are you running a bunch of mods? Does the vanilla game work okay? Does a new game work okay?

This was actually the issue. Searches brought me to the rev.2 boards bios I think, which is on a lower revision number and matched my bios.

Thanks for the help guys, hoping and praying this solves the problem officially and I didn't just get lucky on my stress tests. =3