Fix for Disabled Mods

xwolfe84

Reading the Forums seeing a lot of people having different workarounds etc, Thought a thread titled MOD FIX with a fix posted might help.

Seen variances of the steps shown here but just listing it my way for simplicity's sake.

New Beta/update/whatever is disabling mods so we need to stop Mister Bethesda from doing this.

Open Nexus Mod Manager, and open the plugins tab on the left so you can see the full names of all plugins.

On your computer, navigate to C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\Fallout4\

In that folder you should see a Document called plugins. Right click it, select Properties and uncheck the Read-ojnly option if it is not already unchecked.

Now open the file Plugins with notepad to edit it.

With Nexus Mod Manager Open, copy down the complete names of the mods you want to use into the Plugins text document.

For example my Plugins text file reads as:

Fallout4.esm

Homemaker.esm

ICPA.esm

and so on

Now with all the names of the mods you want to use listed in the Plugins document typed in, save and close the file.

Now right click the file again, select properties, and check the box next to read only. This will keep Fallout 4 from changing the Plugins file and now force the game to load those mods.

This worked for me, hope it works for other people.

Sorry for long simplisitc steps, i work tech support and have learned you have to speak plainly and in informative statements to explain simple things to simple minded people(not saying you all are, just being safe).

UPDATE:

FO4 is still disabling mods when i open the launcher from NMM. When looking at the Plugins tab list they will all uncheck a couple seconds after i open the launcher, but after i recheck them after the game unchecks them, then hit play, the mods will load for me.

Edited by xwolfe84

Thanks, was just about to do this.

The easier way to restore the data in plugins.txt is to open loadorder.txt (in the same folder), and copy the info from there.

PS: My NMM never changes the status of my mods...but then it is always open as well so not sure if that makes a difference.

Only problem I forsee with this workaround is that plugins.txt may need to be changed every time you wish to add an esp.based mod, as NMM won't be able to write to it either?

Another option, not sure how or even if this is possible, is to change the ownership and/or permissions of that plugin.txt so that it excludes any fallout process from being able to edit it? That way it leaves other programs, such as NMM, free to write to it when they need to...anyone?

Any work around including texture mods ?(not esp base), since update I notice that texture mod doesn't seem to work(like pip boy texture or armor retexture).

I never had a problem with pure texture based replacement mods. Only the .esp stand alone paint mods didnt work for me, along with any other mod that changes non-texture game files...

For the mods that aren't listed in the Plugins of NMM, you may have to re-download and install manually. It worked for me.

Well It doesn't work for me :sad:, tried manually and the texture won't appear/replace for me . Is there any INI setting I need to edit or something to fix texture problem showing up in the game ?.

EDIT/update : well seems I manage to fix it by downloading fallout 4 configuration tool by bilago ( http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/? ) and launching the game direcly from this app(seems bypasing the launcher alltogether),

Edited by Tegra795