Help - Can't get Material Swap (MSWP) to work in mod

jayasafunctionofe

I'm hoping someone has a little more experience with FO4Edit and/or modding materials. I am trying to put together a mod that involves MaterialSwap'ing of VaultSuits.

I am able to craft the base item fine, but every item that is supposed to have a material swap applied ends up looking like the original. I've double checked the BGSM (JSON) files and the paths in FO4Edit but can't seem to find why it's not working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nope, not using new NIFs. My goal is to add different colors of some items. We shouldn't need new NIF models to do that. Examining existing items with MSWP records, none of them use different NIFs. For example, Institute coats all use the same model. They just use MSWP to apply a new texture. That's what I can tell from existing items in FO4Edit, anyway.

Double, triple, extra check your file paths! I made a tiny goof in a file path in FO4Edit and skipped over it twice before I figured it out. :laugh:

I'd start with one specific item, go between Armor (check the AA path and MO2S there) Armor Addon (recheck the MO2S) and Material Swap (SNAM there) in FO4Edit and the .BGSM in Material Editor.

One of those in FO4Edit needs to be chosen in the drop-down menu, seems like I typed it in (which worked with this one exception) but it didn't register properly until I chose it from the menu.

-

If it's the default Vault Suit they do have a .BGSM referenced in the .nif. Good luck!

Edited by TheGreenLion

One of those in FO4Edit needs to be chosen in the drop-down menu

Drop-down menu? What drop-down menu? Can you be more specific? I don't know of any drop-down menus in FO4Edit. :confused:

I can only right-click and choose "Edit" on Material Swap entries on the armor item, same for the paths to .BGSM materials for the Material Swap I'm trying to apply. There are no drop-down menus to my knowledge.

EDIT: Just went through and checked out existing items in detail. I've never worked with armor addons before, but I noticed everything has an armor addon that helps assign male/female models, etc. Each armor addon has its own MSWP record so I copied the vanilla ones into new records and changed them as needed, then applied them to my new hats. About to test them out.

EDIT 2: For some reason, one of my hats works and the other still looks vanilla. But hey, PROGRESS! Thanks for coming along and mentioning that thing about armor addons. <3

Edited by Ar7ific1al

Ahh, sorry it's not really a drop-down, more of a pop-up I suppose. When you go to type the info into an entry you are editing a list should appear.

Armor will only hold the World Model data (what it looks like when dropped, somethingGO.nif) and lower under Armatures a MODL entry that needs to point to the Armor Addon.

The Addons are responsible for the male and female character model ( the name of the male and female .nif, MOD2 entry) and the Material Swap (name of your Material Swap, MO2S entry) that needs to match the .BGSM file path.

Armor - points to World Model .nif, Armor Addon

Armor Addon - points to Character Model .nif, Material Swap

Material Swap - points to original .BGSM, new .BGSM to override with

.BGSM - points to your new Textures

You'll need those three entries in FO4Edit, you'll also need a new .BGSM file in the Material folder inside your Data structure edited with Material Editor (you can still do Hex Editing, but Material Editor is far easier) to point to your new Texture files.

One for each new addition, and same number of Material Swaps in FO4Edit to match.

So for a new item you need: 1 of each Armor, ArmorAddon, Material Swap and Material .BGSM file.

Edited by TheGreenLion