FO4 Body retex doesn't get wet

Belthan

I suspect that's not the problem, because vanilla NPCs look wet when it rains. I only replaced the vanilla dds files with my dds files, and now they don't. I didn't change anything in the esm that should have interfered with scripts or whatever else creates that effect in the vanilla game, so it seems like the difference has to be something I'm doing wrong with the dds files themselves.

Okay, I figured it out. I needed to export the _s.dds file with BC5 / 3Dc compression. I had been using BC3 / DXT5 and apparently that doesn't export the layers correctly.

On a related note for anyone having similar issues, I discovered the normals look almost but not quite right unless you use BC5 / 3Dc for the _n.dds file as well. However, BC5 / 3Dc completely hoses the _d.dds file so I'm using uncompressed for that.

And my apologies for the cross-post. I posted the question here before I knew the Fallout 4 Mod Authors Forum existed, and I figured I'd post the answer in both places in case anybody looks here instead of there.