First Time modding and tackling an often undisscussed topic.

GETbacon

Hi there. I decided to try my hand at modding and figured changing the loading screen messages wouldn't be too hard. I found a simple tutorial that also provided a blank .esp here

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/277/?

And after looking around the Fo4 master in Fo4edit I came across the loading screens. I had them copied into the blank .esp and got to work changing the Desc of them all (there's quite a lot) figuring that would do it. But I get into the game and the messages are still displaying the same vanilla messages. I don't know what I did wrong or missed but would appreciate some help. I figured since someone was able to edit some of the dialog then it'd be possible.

I included a screenshot incase it helps.

Are you sure your plugin isn't disabled because of the new update ? make sure that plugins.txt is read-only (NMM does it automatically for you), or launch the game through F4SE after having set everything properly in plugins.txt

Are you sure your plugin isn't disabled because of the new update ? make sure that plugins.txt is read-only (NMM does it automatically for you), or launch the game through F4SE after having set everything properly in plugins.txt

Sorry, made the post when it was late and I wanted to go to bed. Anyways, yes I do have the plugins sorted out through the NMM and the .ini files are right too. Other mods are working well and I don't think it would reqiure F4SE since it's just trying to override the message displayed in the loading screen. I also have the file set to the bottom so it should overrule if it conflicts with something.

your screenshot looks like you have it overridden correctly, you don't need a blank ESP btw, FO4Edit will let you create a new one when you copy the existing value.

there's another mod that changes what is displayed on the load screens but they don't seem to editing the descriptions. since this is likely something that would be localized, it might not be actually pulling the values from the ESP, it might be in the .STRINGS file.

i searched through Fallout4_en.STRINGS for 3 random load screen descriptions and they were all in there.

your screenshot looks like you have it overridden correctly, you don't need a blank ESP btw, FO4Edit will let you create a new one when you copy the existing value.

So uhhh funny thing. Since I didn't know you could just do that I ran with the blank .esp but when I copied it into a new file it just started working. So thanks, issue solved. Gonna do some more tweaking and see about uploading it.

Addendum. Making it a new file DOES work. But modifying it in anyway breaks in. Is it a quirk of the F04Edit I'm using or is it just a weird quick that has a simple workaround.

Edited by GETbacon