Whats wrong with the search function?

TheLine

I don't know if it's just the The Witcher 3 nexus portion of the site but searching for files has become harder than before.

For example, if you try searching for ReShade Presets it'll only show 9 files only. I've never had this issue before with the search function.

I've always found that in the Oblivion Nexus. You can put the exact mod name into search, but because it only offers to search for that in the mod description it will fail if the exact mod name isn't mentioned in the mod description (a fairly common situation).

We need an advanced search field "Mod Title contains". When searching for Oblivion Mod Manager in the "description contains" field you will find 39 pages of mods that require/suggest using Oblivion Mod Manager instead of Oblivion Mod Manager (and yes I know that putting Oblivion Mod Manager in the "file name contains" field finds OBMM just fine).

An example of 100% fail using search when you know the exact mod name is Universal Skeleton Nif. Searching for Universal Skeleton Nif will fail no matter which search field you put the exact mod name in. If you knew the mod author was Growlf it will be found by putting that in the "Author" or "author name contains" fields (but oddly not if you are using advanced search and haven't cleared the "file name contains" or "description contains" fields of a failed search for Universal Skeleton Nif ... almost like the search results are the least of any of the fields that have an entry as opposed to displaying anything found by searching for any of the fields with an entry).

I've always figured it had to me somehow, as I'd think that if anybody would find deficiencies in search it would be Dark0ne (I don't believe I've seen anybody who uses search more often than the boss).

Edited by Striker879

Are you guys talking about the ALREADY EXISTING "Advanced Search" functions?

http://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/images/140/1678793-1330051310.png

Just click directly on the "Files" button at the top to bring up these options.

(@Striker879; Searching Oblivion Nexus for the exact filename "Universal Skeleton Nif" worked for me. Found it with no problem... :huh: )

OK ... bad example, I was looking for something popular to use as an example. I think what happened is I had tried Advanced Search with "universal skeleton nif" in the "description contains" field and didn't clear that before I searched using the "file name contains" field, but that was before I searched for Growlf in the "author name contains" field (and I knew that searching for Growlf would work as I've used that search in the past to get the mod link for someone when I wasn't at my home computer with all my "Info.txt" files that have mod description, links etc). Do a search for Universal Skeleton Nif in the Advanced Search "description contains" field and then without clearing the description contains field do another search with Universal Skeleton Nif in the "file name contains field" and see what you get.

It took a bit of searching through my downloads and the first example I could find is Black Robe and Daedric Armor replacement -FIXED. Using a copy/paste of the mod name and you get "No Results" (so Advanced Search, "file name contains" and paste in Black Robe and Daedric Armor replacement -FIXED which is the exact name of the mod). As the name doesn't appear in the mod description you will also get "No Results" when searching for Black Robe and Daedric Armor replacement -FIXED in the "description contains" field.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the time when I see a complaint that the search didn't find a mod is due to tag blocking.

Try turning off all of your tags before searching and you will get more hits.

Second is not spelling the name right - Unlike Google, Nexus doesn't have millions of dollars to spend on developing a better search - and unlike Google if will not find a mod if you misspell the name.

Google's multi-million dollar search can be used to search Nexus

In the google search bar type 'Site:Nexusmods.com' then the search term. :thumbsup:

More google search tricks: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en

I'm not blocking any tags at all Bben, and I use copy from the mod title and paste into both the default search's "File name" field and Advanced Search's "Description contains" field (and I have tried both paste directly to the fields and paste into Notepad and recopy from there to strip out any of the NexusMods Oblivion formatting). The search I've been using starts from the New files today page's Search in the top row of the page (and Advanced Search from the link at the bottom of that search dialogue box).

Google finds Oblivionaddicted's More generous factions mod without a hitch (comes at the top of the search result list) while searching for More generous factions in the "File name" field yields "No results" from the NexusMods Oblivion search (and the file name of the download is More generous factions-46638-1-0.zip).

Edited by Striker879

Google finds Oblivionaddicted's More generous factions mod without a hitch (comes at the top of the search result list) while searching for More generous factions in the "File name" field yields "No results" from the NexusMods Oblivion search (and the file name of the download is More generous factions-46638-1-0.zip).

Tried it. For some reason they're right. When searching for "More generous factions" on the nexus site the mod can not be found but google finds it and returns the correct page for it. Copy and pasting the title directly from the mod page into the search still returns no files. Doesn't seem to matter what page I search from on Oblivion Nexus, that mod can't seem to be found unless you use google for it.

Thanks for the confirmation Oubliette. Usually when I know I'm right about something I know enough to know that what that means is I'm right until somebody shows me I'm wrong. Perhaps I'll be on the flip side this time.