Left for Dead Owners Please Read

Tulsa299

Hey guys, I have a slightly strange request my apologies if it's dubious?

I'm a musician and used to make a lot of electronic music and a friend of mine once sent me the whole sound pack from the L4D games to sample and I used the axe slapping sounds as snares.. Modified of course. I'm making music again :D and I miss my snare, no other will do...
I no longer have the files, I don't own the games and I don't want to spend X amount on a snare sample nor do I want to pirate it.

Would any of you lovely people owning these sounds, be willing to send them to me? I'd be eternally grateful and make some sweet tunes with 'em.

Note to the admins: Would sharing sound files in such a fashion be problematic? I don't know.

Ah that sucks, I guess I'll wait for it to go on sale :sad:

Thanks anyway.

Yeah I think qertyzeldar is right that its piracy to extract audio files from the game and distribute them as-is (its in that weird "fair use" grey area as far as I understand) - that said, Left 4 Dead goes on-sale on Steam pretty regularly, and you should be able to grab it for like $5 if you just wait it out. Unfortunately L4D1 is largely abandoned these days; I'm not sure if the samples you want exist in L4D2 but if you're looking at still playing the game beyond just sampling its audio, L4D2 would be the choice. I'm also betting that the sound effects they used probably come from a sample catalog (e.g. it isn't even Valve's property), and you could probably go buy that catalog (or that specific sample) somewhere - I have no idea how you'd figure out specifically what sound it was though. Maybe email Valve and ask? (wouldn't hold my breath for a reply but it its free to ask)

• 2 months later...

Ah that sucks, I guess I'll wait for it to go on sale :sad:

Thanks anyway.

Yeah I think qertyzeldar is right that its piracy to extract audio files from the game and distribute them as-is (its in that weird "fair use" grey area as far as I understand) - that said, Left 4 Dead goes on-sale on Steam pretty regularly, and you should be able to grab it for like $5 if you just wait it out. Unfortunately L4D1 is largely abandoned these days; I'm not sure if the samples you want exist in L4D2 but if you're looking at still playing the game beyond just sampling its audio, L4D2 would be the choice. I'm also betting that the sound effects they used probably come from a sample catalog (e.g. it isn't even Valve's property), and you could probably go buy that catalog (or that specific sample) somewhere - I have no idea how you'd figure out specifically what sound it was though. Maybe email Valve and ask? (wouldn't hold my breath for a reply but it its free to ask)

It's ok I picked it up in a Sale a while ago.. The sounds were all there as expected.