Why won't my HDT helmet hair cover the existing hair?

triptherift

OK, so I wanted to give the new KS Hairdos HDT versions a try on a follower after trying it on my player character. So I use a helmet as a template (Hide, if it makes any difference), point to the new HDT enabled hair nifs, and fire up the game. The HDT part works (which is why I'm not posting in the HDT physics section), but the problem is, the hair "helmet" isn't blanking out the base head hair like a helmet should. So I have two copies of the hair, one animating, one not.

My forehead is bruised from hitting the desk in frustration, can someone help out here? TIA

Not that I can find. I opened up all esps and esms in TES5Edit and looked for any kind of override on helmets and found none. And I haven't changed any of the settings for the helmet. If I uncheck "hair" in the helmet setting, the helmet hair doesn't display at all. If I check it, I have two hair pieces, one of them the hair, the other the hair helmet.

Well, it appears that the hairstyle I'm using won't allow ANY helmet blank it out. Not sure what setting allows that trick.

Edit: solved my own problem. There is a setting in the nif file under dismemberment - if it is set to 141 Long Hair, a helmet will NOT cover it. Useful for ponytail styles I guess. Anyway, setting these to 131 Hair solved the problem. Hope this helps someone else, as no one seems to know about this stuff.

Edited by triptherift