Dates set on my mods to 1991

thejiffiness

Hey all. I am getting extremely frustrated cause I am in the severe mood to play oblivion but there is a problem. I am a pretty experienced modder and I know what I am doing. That said, this is not about corrupted saves, wrong load order or conflicting mods. This is a problem I have never seen before and seems to be solely to do with Oblivion it seems. I noticed it after the crashes started to take place which would be 55+ hours or more into the game. The symptoms were always crashing when I attack a female NPC but not til after a long game time. I restarted and deleted many damn games trying to figure out what the problem was. I of course blamed that the mods were out of date and that there was incompatibility between the modders who update and those who don't. Spent probably 200 hours on new games and such. Could not figure out for the life of me what was happening as no matter what mods I was using (or did not) the game would play great til that 55 hour mark then the game would freeze crash everytime!

So one day I noticed that all my mods were dated 12/1991. Which is impossible cause Oblivion did not even come out til 2006. Then I re down loaded Oblivion and noticed the ESM was dated 12/1991! I also noticed that after a few hours that almost mods were dated 12/1991 and 3 were dated 06/2007. Has anyone ever had this problem? I also thought maybe it was a virus but I did 3 (lol yes) windows reinstalls just in case MS and malware bytes missed something and also did a partition and re-partition so it absolutely can not be a virus. I replaced almost everything in my computer now except my SSD (needed an upgrade anyway).

So who has ever been here or has any ideas? I have to say at this point corsair has probably sold me another lemon SSD or something. I will say that my other games do stutter (and they should not at all on my system) My computer has froze up before (no ctl alt dlt did not work).

let me know what you think cause I am stumped. Also I bought a new hardrive and tried to down the mods there and again, when its opened the esp is dated 12/1991. I even switched my 7zip programs!

~The Jiffiness

Edited by thejiffiness

The game uses dates and times to set load order. Dates and times are also important for insuring that BSA Redirection works (the only recommended method of archive invalidation).

If you sort your load order with BOSS it sets the ESP dates to 8/12/2006 and BSA dates to 01/01/2006 and uses timestamps to determine load order. I can't say what dates/times other load order utilities might use (e.g. LOOT).

For a long time I have maintained that Steam has changed the vanilla game files you download from them to have modern dates for the vanilla game BSA files (e.g. Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa). Your post leads me to believe you are using the Steam version of the game. Perhaps they have caught wind of how they've been screwing their users and have overcompensated (this is just speculation, as I'm not a Steam user and so they certainly wouldn't have heard anything from me directly). Sort your load order with BOSS and see if that makes a difference.

I wonder whether you may also be getting the A-Bomb (animation problems on longer games). You could use OAF - Oblivion Animation Fixer to see if it helps. One caveat ... if you use OBSE you will need to rename a copy of your OBSE co-save to match the fixed OAF save (so when OAF fixes a save named MySave07.ess the fixed save is named OAF_MySave07.ess ... you need to rename a copy of MySave07.obse to OAF_MySave07.obse). Another alternative that doesn't require manually renaming co-saves is to use Wrye Bash's A-Bomb repair (found on the Saves tab right click menu).