NPC Variation Request

SlashSgt

Would be great if we could see some variation in the NPC's height as well as some way to have a pool of textures that they draw from, that way not EVERY individual has the same base texture and is the same height, as I feel this really breaks the immersion after giving it some thought. There are already plugins which enable the player to have a separate texture from other NPCs and even to allow Companions to do the same, so hopefully the ability to randomize which texture an NPC chooses when first loaded shouldn't be too hard.

• 1 year later...

Height is uniform as it determines how animations line up as well as hitboxes. Players using unusual character heights struggle to use terminals, for example.

I'm currently working on a mod that varies the body triangle values and skin textures for spawned NPCs to make them more diverse. I came here wondering if I can also change the min and max height values, and found this thread. Do you think there would be any major issues with NPCs that don't have a height of 1.0? I wasn't planning any huge changes, just ranges of something like 0.8 - 1.0 for females and 0.9 to 1.1 for males.

You mention animations being a potential problem. Is that just for interaction with things like terminals, workbenches, and furniture? If so, it's probably not too much of a concern for spawned NPCs.

You also mention hitboxes. Do hitboxes just affect interactions with the environment (can't walk into an area because the ceiling is too low, for example), or are they also used for determining hits and misses for melee and ranged attacks? If they are used for attacks, are there separate hitboxes for each major area of the body (head, torso, each arm, each leg)? I don't think small issues with interactions with the environment would be a major problem. Issues with attacks could be though. For example, shooting at the head of a size 1.1 NPC and missing because their hitbox is for size 1.0. Or, shooting at the head of a size 0.8 NPC and hitting them in the torso instead.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can provide.