A submarine home/vehicle *Spoilers*

r4y30n

I dunno about you guys but I thought the Yangtze was one of the coolest additions to Fallout 4, finally we see a relic of the Chinese military beyond cheap swords and assault rifles. That got me thinking though, how cool would it be to have a sub as a home in the game? Furthermore, what if the sub could be restored to semi-operational status and move back and forth between a few fixed points along the coast?

From a lore standpoint it wouldn't make any sense to have a second Chinese missile sub in the area, especially given the captain of the Yangtze makes no mention of any other Chinese presence in the area... Maybe this could be an American attack sub that came south from the shipyard in Portsmouth, might be interesting to see a contrast in design between Chinese and American subs.

From a gameplay standpoint I'm thinking the quest to find it gives you clues to a general area and you find the sub on the bottom in a semi-flooded state and, similar to the USS Constitution quest, you have to find parts to pump out the flooded areas and get the sub powered up.

As for size, I'd say maybe something close to the USS Nautilus (cutaway below)

Cool features to have (accepting that some of this may be impossible):

• Ability to move the sub to a few different locations (similar to the teleporting of the TARDIS mods) as well as surface/submerge when at sea
  • A working periscope or two that lowers into the floor when not in use and could allow the player to see what's going on at the surface
  • Dive chamber for leaving the sub when it's submerged
  • All the usual crafting benches tucked away wherever makes the most sense

http://militaryhistory.x10.mx/shippictures/warshippictures/articles/nautilus.jpg

That would be the most badass home ever. Now I can't wait for the Fallout Creation Kit coming out. But I would use the same model as the Yangtze. Simply because it is already in the game and because I suck at creating 3D models. The quest sounds good. Maybe you could even make it an interior settlement, so it would get a bit populated...

• Ability to move the sub to a few different locations (similar to the teleporting of the TARDIS mods) as well as surface/submerge when at sea

It would be possible to place the submarine in a few locations on the map and only enable one at a time. No fancy animations but that would be a simple way to do it.

• A working periscope or two that lowers into the floor when not in use and could allow the player to see what's going on at the surface

This could be difficult. Maybe with a few tricks like letting the player control an actor (which would function as the periscope)...

Nothing simpler than that. The challenge here would be to integrate it well into the level design. Or simply use the existing door and add a flooding animation when the submarine is under water.

• All the usual crafting benches tucked away wherever makes the most sense

Of course ;-)

A fun optional mod would allow it to inexplicably move to the various ponds around the Commonwealth, including Starlight's.

It would be possible to place the submarine in a few locations on the map and only enable one at a time. No fancy animations but that would be a simple way to do it.

That's what I was thinking. Select your destination via some sort of terminal at the helm, it plays sounds like the turbines are spooling up, then when you leave the boat you're in the new location.

This could be difficult. Maybe with a few tricks like letting the player control an actor (which would function as the periscope)...

Yeah, not to mention you'd probably have to have the whole interior in the open world because there's no way you could look at something from beyond a loading zone.

An alternative is to have one interior compartment in the open world (like the conning towers of the WWII USN fleet subs) and have a hatch from there that loads the interior.

Nothing simpler than that. The challenge here would be to integrate it well into the level design. Or simply use the existing door and add a flooding animation when the submarine is under water.

That idea actually came from the water treatment plant where you raise and lower the water levels, seems like a copy paste scenario. When room is dry the interior door is unlocked, throw a switch in the room and it locks the interior, floods and unlocks the exterior.