Marlin 1894 lever-action rifle

Junnari

Alongside few other weapons, I miss the lever-action rifles that were in FNV so I'm currently working on a Marlin 1894 to fill that void. Although I've got experience with 3D modeling and texturing, I'm quite new to modding, so tips and guides would be appreciated as well as opinions, criticism and suggestions. Alternatively I could also consider sharing the model if you have interest towards making it into a usable mod.

My current (probably over-ambitious) plans include the following:

• The rifle is intended to be a medium range weapon with high damage per round (~40-50 base damage), decent rate of fire (~7-12), and will use .44 rounds.
  • It will contain weapon mods for:
    • receivers as way to upgrade the damage output and affect the characteristics of the gun,
    • at least 2 stock variations (full and sawn-off) with similar effects as the double-barrel shotgun stocks,
    • 3 barrel lengths (rifle, carbine and sawn-off) that will also determine the magazine capacity,
    • standard sight options (iron-, glow- and reflex sights + normal, nv- and recon scopes),
    • suppressor and possibly other muzzle mods.
  • Although I'd like to implement it with a round-by-round reloading that could be paused, it will more likely end up using "magazine-swap" type of reloading, at least for start.

I'm currently finishing up with the low-poly model before making high-poly version, baking texture bases and making the textures, so there's still some work to do before the model and its textures are in usable condition. Here's progress with the model so far: http://imgur.com/AIgWCH8

Edited by Junnari

You could probably use double barrel anims and make it so that when you 'open' the double barrel the lever-action is opened instead, though obviously there'd be no way to align putting the bullets inside so I'd just make the bullets invisible if I was you. Seems like the only decent possibility, unless you wanna make it use the bolt action anim or something lol

Good to see that there are at least some interest towards the mod :)

You could probably use double barrel anims and make it so that when you 'open' the double barrel the lever-action is opened instead, though obviously there'd be no way to align putting the bullets inside so I'd just make the bullets invisible if I was you. Seems like the only decent possibility, unless you wanna make it use the bolt action anim or something lol

That might work as a base for the animation, but even so it'd need some modification as in the DB animation the player folds the barrels downwards and releases the grip from the forend to pick an insert new shells, meaning that the animation/player body would need to be rotated so that the barrels remain seemingly stationary, and the folding animation would need to be reversed just before the grip is released to make it look plausible. Considering this it might be more reasonable to make a all new animations for the gun, especially when there isn't really any suitable reloading animation on the existing guns, though I'm not sure if it's yet possible or how easily that could be done, even if I had the knowledge of applying a new animation.

Good to see that there are at least some interest towards the mod :smile:

That might work as a base for the animation, but even so it'd need some modification as in the DB animation the player folds the barrels downwards and releases the grip from the forend to pick an insert new shells, meaning that the animation/player body would need to be rotated so that the barrels remain seemingly stationary, and the folding animation would need to be reversed just before the grip is released to make it look plausible. Considering this it might be more reasonable to make a all new animations for the gun, especially when there isn't really any suitable reloading animation on the existing guns, though I'm not sure if it's yet possible or how easily that could be done, even if I had the knowledge of applying a new animation.

Ah, that's a shame. Honestly it seems we're kinda screwed until the DLCs come - I assume there will add some lever-action sooner or later (considering F3 had one) and also a standard assault rifle so pistol grip animations would fit for other weapons (there's an untextured model of chinese assault rifle that's unused, and looks really akward on standard anims if you port it so they probably decided they'd put it in a DLC) that is, unless someone finds a way to implement custom anims - which is very doubtful considering it took years for NV to someone figure out how to make new anims and make weapons be able to use them.....

The Chinese AR is named as PrototypeAssaultRifle in the .bsa if I remember correctly, and was left at pretty high-poly stage with 64k polys (most of the guns that were implemented have somewhere between 7-10k), so I'm not sure if they just decided to replace it with the current assault rifle design after having already started the modeling work. But it certainly would be nice to see it finished and implemented, alongside FNV's service rifle or similar AR-15 based rifle. I actually started upgrading the original Chinese AR from FO3 to match the prototype, though it's been on hold for some time: http://imgur.com/EnzcLPI.

The Chinese AR is named as PrototypeAssaultRifle in the .bsa if I remember correctly, and was left at pretty high-poly stage with 64k polys (most of the guns that were implemented have somewhere between 7-10k), so I'm not sure if they just decided to replace it with the current assault rifle design after having already started the modeling work. But it certainly would be nice to see it finished and implemented, alongside FNV's service rifle or similar AR-15 based rifle. I actually started upgrading the original Chinese AR from FO3 to match the prototype, though it's been on hold for some time: http://imgur.com/EnzcLPI.

The Chinese AR was originally called the Assault Rifle and the actual Assault Rifle in vanilla F4 was called the MachineGun. Somewhere during the dev process they decided the Assault Rifle would be more work than worth since the it fit right between the Combat Rifle and the giant beast we ended up with. If I were to take a wild guess, the current Assault Rifle would've been for heavy enemies like top rank gunners and super mutants whilst the Chinese AR would have been everywhere else you see the Assault Rifle (gunners, raiders, etc.)

That makes sense Slash, not even the biggest idiot would decide for that Lewis-style monstrosity to be an Assault Rifle in the first place. I like that Jun, though making enough mods for it so that it could be considered a decent weapon ingame would require some creativity - you'd pretty much need to take lots of real AK parts and figure out how to transform the concept into something fake so it'd fit the rifle well. One of the reasons why I wish this game had been done by Obsidian is because at least most of the guns wouldn't look like huge pieces of randomly decorated metal. Fallout lore or not; I just think any game in american setting without some kind of AR-15 variant feels weird - if they have classic things like greaser-stylized clothing, etc there's no reason not to have an AR-15 explaining it with 'lore'.....Fallout 2 had Desert Eagle goddamit, Tactics had pretty much a whole ARSENAL of real firearms (although I guess Tactics is considered non canon...)

Anyway I love your work on Marlin but I'd hate to have to wait half a year to see it in-game, I think you should just release it in future using bolt-action anims with changed sound to a lever cocking.... trust me, some people (like me) simply don't care, I still remember games which had no reloading at all like Postal....or games that by 'reloading' meant your guns dissapearing under screen as reload sounds play.....etc.