Commercial before downloading

Deleted1120339User

Im kinda shocked I need to watch a 30 second video for a 30kb download. Perhaps you could scale it better? I could understand if I was downloading a few 100 mbs or something, but cmon. I'd hate to stop coming here but Im not watching adverts for every tiny download.

Dark0ne's Nexus bill for 2011:

* 4 super powerful Dell blade servers each with dual quad core processors, 32GB of memory, dual 600GB SCSI hard-drives and pooled 125mbit of UK bandwidth (UK significant as it's twice as expensive as US bandwidth)

* At least one additional dell blade server, perhaps two or three based on the popularity of Dragon Age 2, Skyrim (that will definitely need it's own server) and the possibility of Nexus sites for other games

* Enterprise level backup solution using 1.5TB of space on an ultra-fast, ultra-redundant SSD NAS system so if the worst happens everything is safe

* 5 file servers with dual 600GB SCSI hard-drives each with 1Gbit unmetered connections pushing some 450mbit/second

* Cost of hiring on a part-time software programmer and a full-time web programmer to move things forward and get the most out of the sites

* Saving away money for rainy days, s*** hitting the fan days, and competitions

That, right there, is a bill close to £80,000 (or around $128,000). I've already tried interstitials and I've already tried pop-unders but people bricked themselves because they thought they were less secure ways of advertising than any other way (not true). The video ads essentially tax the most costly part of the sites and 1 view of the video ads is worth 10 views of the box ad on the sites. It may not be necessary in the long term but it is in the short-term.

When you have the full picture you tend to be more willing to ignore complaints because (1) complaints are inevitable and (2) they come from people who don't have the full picture. The way I see it; watching a 15 - 45 second ad is more convenient than the Nexus just packing up shop. What do you think?

Having to watch ads per download isn't that bad, just open multiple tabs and download all the mods you want at the same time.

Edited by somerandomsheepthathops

am going to comments on this one, am using nexus for 5 years now and if have to say i never have mind the adds.

but lately its horrible, if i download for fallout its fine, i have add every 5 downloads.

but am starting to play oblivion again and here i get every download a add.

this is little crazy i have to say, becous now i look for mirrors on there website instead of DL it here.

and i don't think that is the meaning of the site he :)

so, if this is gone be standard to get add of 40 sec every dl then people are gone leave ,

and i don't think again that this is meaning of the site :)

now i don't now how the adds are working on this site, how the settings are.

only for oblivion mods i have it every time :( and that is little hard for your members don't you think.

@selerna;

Each individual game site is seen as a seperate instance. You'll need to log-in to each one (and download soemnthing that triggers the advert) in order to have the cookie for that session updated to indicate that you've already had an advert served up. So if you only get a single download from a particular area of the Nexus each visit, you'll have to sit through more of them than if you group your downloads together.

(As an alternative, might I suggest Premium Membership? If your budget will allow, it's a great way to both improve your Nexus experience and show your support! :thumbsup: )

@selerna;

Each individual game site is seen as a seperate instance. You'll need to log-in to each one (and download soemnthing that triggers the advert) in order to have the cookie for that session updated to indicate that you've already had an advert served up. So if you only get a single download from a particular area of the Nexus each visit, you'll have to sit through more of them than if you group your downloads together.

(As an alternative, might I suggest Premium Membership? If your budget will allow, it's a great way to both improve your Nexus experience and show your support! :thumbsup: )

start to think about it yea :) specially with skyrim coming up:)

but its just if i dl for fallout are dragon age i dont have that many adds,

its only with oblivion dl :)

Well, opening multiple tabs is not working on bigger files, because the tab with the video (or with a black rectangle and a counter if you browse with Flash disabled, which is recommended anyway) because the download tab will be reused and the ad restarted, and only the newest dowload will work, the olders will be lost. Very funny. Now I must browse the archive and download again a dozen or so mods, and I will only know if a file was alredy downloaded when the browser warns me about the alredy existing file on my hard disk. Maybe I will just download them all again just for making even for the annoyance and the time I wasted with watching the black rectangle and the counter.

By the way, streaming ads to me would be a complete waste of bandwith, because I don't buy anything online, and I avoid all heavily advertised things.

Are the ads inconvenient at times? Yes, they are.

Do I care (especially when it helps the site out)? No.

Suck it up, folks. It's not every DL (not that I've encoutered, anyway) you have to sit through an ad. I'd rather read a rulebook for 30 seconds as I wait for my DL to start than watch the site disappear.

On a completely different topic regarding the ads:

The ads can cause problems for users with 64-bit browsers (such as myself). That's because a full version of Adobe Flash that supports 64-bit isn't available yet. And, without Flash, the ad never plays, and so it's impossible to reach the download links. That's a bit of an annoyance.

There is a beta version of Adobe Flash 64, however, which is how I (eventually!) got around the problem; it just takes a little work to find it on Adobe's site. Or, there's always the Premium Membership option :)

EDIT: Forgot an important detail. This is Internet Explorer 9 x64 that I use. And yes, an equally viable alternative would be a free 32-bit browser download!

Edited by BFG99

The ads can be bypassed very easily. And I don't mean by premium. ;)

Also in my experiments it didn't seem to matter if the ad actually played, the page eventually refreshed and showed the download links.