Ubuntu Problem

caterpie

I have read everything on the oblivion wiki, winehq, and random sites all over. Every time I try and leave the sewers on the lowest graphics possible, the game crashes and says "internal errors - invalid parameters" in a little box. I am running on a toshiba satellite L305 with Ubuntu 10.10.

WINE isn't the best thing in the world, have you checked winehq for the correct bit version? (32 or 64)

Also, have you gone through the long and gruelling process to install DirectX? I gave up and installed it on my Windows OS instead.

Edited by spiritshadowx

WINE isn't the best thing in the world, have you checked winehq for the correct bit version? (32 or 64)

Also, have you gone through the long and gruelling process to install DirectX? I gave up and installed it on my Windows OS instead.

I think I installed direct X, and I didn't know there was a 32/64 bit version. All I know is that wine is the only thing besides crossover that can play windows games on Linux.

I think I installed direct X, and I didn't know there was a 32/64 bit version. All I know is that wine is the only thing besides crossover that can play windows games on Linux.

Sorry i'm thinking of programs that have 32/64 bit, Oblivion doesn't.

How did you install DirectX? Usually Winetricks fails to install it correctly, at least it did for me.

I'm not familiar with playing games using wine. However, when using a Windows system what you describe (crash at sewer exit) is a problem where the graphics card is just not quite up to the challenge of Oblivion. At that point in the game the graphics detail makes a major jump. I suspect that linux will have the same problem with weak graphics cards.

This quote from the US Toshiba site for your laptop:

GRAPHICS ENGINE*

Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

Intel's graphics solutions are not widely known for their horsepower.

Edited by Striker879

Sorry i'm thinking of programs that have 32/64 bit, Oblivion doesn't.

How did you install DirectX? Usually Winetricks fails to install it correctly, at least it did for me.

I just installed it through winetricks, and I am just wondering if it is just because of my Intel. It might be since I got a older computer with a AMD I think and it runs oblivion no problem.

I was afraid something like that might come up. I recently bought a laptop for my teenaged granddaughter ... top of the list, no Intel graphics (she does play games). No Intel graphics = no cheap solutions. It was incredibly hard (and expensive) to find a properly balanced laptop. The marketing guys rule the design department. You can have a reasonably priced laptop with good processor and lame ass graphics or the same reasonable price with lame processor and good graphics ... what you want both!!! (hands rubbing in greed).