OBSE Problem

gotxbrains

Another possibility comes to mind. Since you are using an external HD, does it always remain plugged in? The reason I ask is drive letter assignments. If for example, you installed the game while the extHD had E: assigned and then you unplugged it, the next time you plug it in it could be F: if you've plugged in a USB stick and left it in. Changing drive letter assignments don't cause problems when you're just storing files on a portable drive, but could play havok if you're running games from it AND unplugging it or moving it to a different plug between sessions (to a port with a lower assignment priority AND an attached USB storage device has remained plugged in on a now higher priority port).

Since you are using an external HD I'm assuming you are using a physical disk version of the game. The Direct2Drive or Impulse download versions of the game aren't compatible with OBSE (the Steam version is however). Confirm that the files obse_1_2_416.dll and obse_editor_1_2.dll are in your Oblivion folder (not your Data folder) AND either obse_loader.exe (if you are using a physical disk version of the game e.g. Game of the Year version) or obse_steam_loader.dll (only if you are using the Steam version of the game). So three files should be in your Oblivion folder. For the disk version of the game don't start it with your usual OblivionLauncher.exe. You will need to start the game using the obse_loader.exe file. You will probably want to edit your desktop shortcut and use that to start the game (starting the game from your Start button menu will start the game the old way ... leaving that alone gives you an easy way to get access to the old launcher menu when you want to activate a mod using the Data Files option on that loader menu). When you start the game using the obse_loader.exe (either by double clicking it or using your edited desktop icon) you will see two small black windows briefly. If you don't see them all is not right.

thanks, i totally don't know what i'm doing so i need to be walked through what's already stated clearly in the readme. this helped me greatly.

in case you couldn't tell this was sarcasm. I'm not an idiot.

I'm crushed (not really). I wasn't intending to 'talk down to you' when suggesting possibilities. It's not easy remote troubleshooting a problem, where I can't just click a couple of things and eliminate a couple of possibilities right off the bat. You'd be surprised at how often one of those obvious simple things can be at the root of someone's problem. If you don't eliminate them at the outset you look bad if they turn up as the solution later.

When you said:

I have obse installed because I previously had mods and suffered weird crashing, so clean install, obse was the first to be installed.

what steps did you take in the "clean install" stage? What I'm getting at here is how thorough was the uninstall that preceded that re-install. Leftover stuff in the registry can play havoc with a 'fresh' re-install. The most reliable and thorough way to uninstall is using the original game disk from a safe mode boot, followed by a registry cleaner like CCleaner. Doing it from safe mode is getting out the big guns, and may not be required in your case, but uninstalling using the DVD is recommended over the uninstall off the start menu or add/remove programs in control panel. Have a look through this guide that bben46, one of the moderators here, has posted and compare it's suggestions to your method. Perhaps you'll see something to try.