Keeping it "real"

MarkInMKUK

OK, COBL goes on. It replaces having to find something to give the automatic racial characteristics, and hopefully the hunger and thirst mod too. Beyond that we will see as we go along.

Edit:

COBL is now installed. I've ticked the option for COBL Races and will see what that alters. I'm intending a run-through with a Khajiit to see what effect their night-eye has on a dungeon run, but I will probably use one of the alternate shaders to make it a tunnel vision style view, as that would make sense for a cat-evolved predator - looking straight at the prey with no distractions to the side.

Enhanced Economy is also installed ready for loot trading - it also saves playing about on the "haggle" slider. I'd prefer a verbal-based haggling system, like real trading in the middle east, but failing that a "you have already haggled your best deal" will do for me.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other mods added:

Attack and Hide (because I'll be doing a lot of that once into the main game - no sniper should be without this mod!)

SM Combat Hide - if you run and hide you might get away - compatible with the above

Spell Deflection - lets you "bounce" some spells off your shield - maybe even reflect them back at the sender or his allies!

BFG'd Enhanced armoury Realism - add wear and tear, and if armour breaks replaces it with the clothing that should have been underneath.

Locked Doors and Knocking - Always seemed silly that you couldn't do what a normal person would do.

SM Encumbrance and Fatigue - seems the most wide covering of the fatigue mods.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

You might be interested in this site that studied what cats actually see in order to make videos to amuse cats: http://www.kittyshow.com/cat_color_vision.html

I couldn't find any information indicating cats lack peripheral vision and my own experience with them would seem to indicate otherwise, but what they do lack is the long range we have. They are adapted to see things close to them, and use their other senses to detect things that are far away but moving. A black and white shader would be realistic for cat night vision. I was interested to learn that cats in daytime see blue and green best, followed by purple and yellow. Apparently they cannot see red. Now I know why my cats kept stealing blue and green towels from the laundry basket. Might be interesting to make a mod that showed those colors during the day and black and white at night or when underground.

Reptile senses are really strange. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake

http://www.anapsid.org/sight.html

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/lizards/sight/world.php

For detect Life, maybe infrared look?

Hi Telyn,

That's some really interesting info.

Maybe I'll pass that on to Razorpony and DraketheDragon - they're re-making the Khajiit and Argonian races at the moment and that would be a very fitting expansion to the idea - the characters not only LOOKING better, but also seeing the "right" things

As for the limits of vision for cats, they have a little less peripheral vision than humans because their eyes are more forward-facing - maybe 10-15° less. Also that varies from cat to cat - the younger of our two cats is actually long-sighted and loses stuff if it's too close to her. Her older brother is pretty much normal-sighted for movement, but I have no way of telling on static stuff. On the other hand, he can see a sweetcorn kernel on the floor at 40 feet and head for it so maybe he's pretty good long-sight-wise as well.

The shader I was thinking of using has an option to blur the out-of-front-view area rather than a total cutoff - that way you'd still see movement in the peripheral area. Maybe that's the best choice.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Hmm, my tabbies liked to play a game of follow the finger, and they definitely had good peripheral vision. It may depend on breed? Their parents were feral, too.

I thought the reptile information was pretty fascinating.It would be pretty neat if Argonians could move their eyes independently, and Khajiits blinked one eye at a time. I wonder if that's possible if it only worked on NPCs. It would certainly make them feel less human. :)

Hmm, my tabbies liked to play a game of follow the finger, and they definitely had good peripheral vision. It may depend on breed? Their parents were feral, too.

I thought the reptile information was pretty fascinating.It would be pretty neat if Argonians could move their eyes independently, and Khajiits blinked one eye at a time. I wonder if that's possible if it only worked on NPCs. It would certainly make them feel less human. :)

Our girl cat is a tortoiseshell, and the boy cat is a tuxedo - so no tabbies at our end. The boy cat's parents were also black-and-whites. However, his black fur shows a tabby pattern underlying it from certain angles in sun, so maybe that's why his eyesight is better.

For the reptiles, trying to mimic their viewpoint would be interesting. We have to assume that Argonians have something close to human colour vision because they use all colours from red to blue colour for facial markings (although maybe not violet), but adding a heat sense would overlay warm-bloods with a localised heat haze on some areas. That would also tend to work through thin solid objects, but given most stuff is either stone or thick wood we can probably discount it in practice for out-of-sight creatures. At night, Argonians would tend to "vanish" unless in light, but warm-bloods should show up as heat sources. They should certainly have the equivalent of night vision for warm-blooded animals, although a dragon or a fire might shut that sense down due to overload.

I'm not so sure about the independent eye movement or blinking - I think that would just end up looking disturbing.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

The AI In Oblivion could use a lot of Work, More Specifically with Guards and Important Citizens. Like, If you kill someone without a guard noticing he'll check the body and say "Looks like threre's a Killer on the loose" and just walk away. Or if a dead body is near you (not necessarily one you killed) Guards will still check it but they won't ask you questions, or anyone else for that matter. Guards should Question someone (Especially me, because i look suspicious) for being around a dead body. Now, onto "Important Citizens" By that i mean Essential Characters. True, They are Essential to the game, but don't you think they could simply be overpowered? I mean Martin is the bloody emperor and he does hardly any damage at any point in the game, yet he never dies. Its very Unrealistic but would affect gameplay seriously. Finally, Counts and Countesses (Who are also Essential for the most part) Should NOT be essential, no matter what quest they are involved in, Neither should Guard Captains. Counts and Countesses serve no real purpose in the game besides supposedly "running a kingdom" yet i've never seen many pheasants inside they're castles. Realistically, pheasants should come in on a daily basis and request resources such as More food or More gold, typical pheasant requests (As far as i know) I mean really, they get paid what? 1 Gold for the work they do? I'm of no Royalty, or Rich blood and i have almost 9 million gold. I'm glad someone posted this Topic because Oblivion is seriously Unrealistic (It's a great game of course, but several AI Problems and whatnot)

The AI In Oblivion could use a lot of Work, More Specifically with Guards and Important Citizens. Like, If you kill someone without a guard noticing he'll check the body and say "Looks like threre's a Killer on the loose" and just walk away. Or if a dead body is near you (not necessarily one you killed) Guards will still check it but they won't ask you questions, or anyone else for that matter. Guards should Question someone (Especially me, because i look suspicious) for being around a dead body. Now, onto "Important Citizens" By that i mean Essential Characters. True, They are Essential to the game, but don't you think they could simply be overpowered? I mean Martin is the bloody emperor and he does hardly any damage at any point in the game, yet he never dies. Its very Unrealistic but would affect gameplay seriously. Finally, Counts and Countesses (Who are also Essential for the most part) Should NOT be essential, no matter what quest they are involved in, Neither should Guard Captains. Counts and Countesses serve no real purpose in the game besides supposedly "running a kingdom" yet i've never seen many pheasants inside they're castles. Realistically, pheasants should come in on a daily basis and request resources such as More food or More gold, typical pheasant requests (As far as i know) I mean really, they get paid what? 1 Gold for the work they do? I'm of no Royalty, or Rich blood and i have almost 9 million gold. I'm glad someone posted this Topic because Oblivion is seriously Unrealistic (It's a great game of course, but several AI Problems and whatnot)

Something you could do is SetEssential 0 all the essential people.

I haven't checked it out yet, but Reneer's Guard Overhaul might be something you'd be interested in. Though it doesn't seem to fix the problem with bodies, they do react more realistically.

Off topic: Pheasant=bird

peasant=Subjects of a kingdom

Edited by click1

In one quest where the PC can turn in a criminal, the guard went and killed him, and then that same guard checked the body and declared there must be a killer about. I agree, guard AI and NPCs in general could use some work. The problem with making Martin inessential before a certain point is that if he dies, game is over. The designers assume this quest is being done by a new player and I am guessing people would have returned the game, etc. I decided the gods are protecting him to some degree since in this game they are do seem to help mortals sometimes (ex: temple blessings). There are some PCs who are immortal that probably should not be.

In one quest where the PC can turn in a criminal, the guard went and killed him, and then that same guard checked the body and declared there must be a killer about. I agree, guard AI and NPCs in general could use some work. The problem with making Martin inessential before a certain point is that if he dies, game is over. The designers assume this quest is being done by a new player and I am guessing people would have returned the game, etc. I decided the gods are protecting him to some degree since in this game they are do seem to help mortals sometimes (ex: temple blessings). There are some PCs who are immortal that probably should not be. There are a couple mods here that remove the essential status and prevent respawning for all NPCs, but the comments indicate they don't work reliably.