New GPU time, need to know how this stacks up.

Well, the GTX 580's are top of the line single-GPU cards, which you can figure out by looking at the price, so I say it's good.

Don't know anything about the noise though

Remember to have an adequate power supply

As long as you don't mind a noisy (or hot) system, then it's a good graphics card. It's going to be one of the better single graphics card setups you can get on the consumer market. But on a system, it does present its own system design challenges. You will have to have an adequate power supply; no less than 650 watts, preferably a 750 watt or more. You will have to provide adequate cooling; the graphics card will likely need a 120mm just for it, not to mention other system fans where needed. One of those system fans might be a little noisy. You will also need a case that is designed to house and properly cool such a large graphics card. You will also need a processor that can handle such a powerful graphics card.

Basically, good graphics card, but you will need a solid system in order to support it. A lot of gamers (including me) design their systems around a graphics card(s).

Like others have said. 400-500 series Nvidia runs hot. Definitely look into a card that has better built in fans. Gigabyte's "Windforce" Line was quite nice while I used it. The fans, even at max, were relatively quiet and usually effective enough. Remember though that Fallout is processor intensive- lots of ai to keep track of. Without a good CPU a 580 will just produce a very pretty slide show. That being said, I was rocking NV at 25 (bare min) to 60 FPS on a single 470, with lots of graphics mods and the like. A 580 will be more than sufficient, although you could simply bite the bullet and get a 590/ 6990.

It would be helpful to know what type of case you have. Many stock cases that you get with your average HP or Dell are only sufficient for mid-level to high-ish GPU's. The 580 is a darn near top of the line card. It will fry even in a good case if not well ventilated. For reference, this is the case I use, with my Radeon 6990 (gogo AMD :laugh: ) and it keeps my cards (of which I've used several) generally well cooled.

Thanks for the advice guys, you've been a big help.

I have one 120MM and a 620 w PSU, looks like Im gonna have to upgrade those two features first, I'm fue a new case anyway. It's good to know the GPU is good, unfortunately it's on my desk now and doing nowthing but glitter and look beastial.

For a GTX 580, I would look at EVGA unless you live outside North America. They even have a GTX 580 custom made for liquid cooling systems. At least the GTX 580 is quieter and cooler than the GTX 480 and only the dual-GPU Radeon HD 6990 and GTX 590 are faster(both have huge power draws and the GTX 590's power requirements almost force you to have a 800w+ PSU.) All in all, the GTX 580 is a very powerful graphics card and might be too powerful for games alone @ 1920X1080. Hopefully, you have a lot of games that utilize PhysX, or you a monitor that supports 1920X1200 or higher resolutions.

EDIT: Wish I had seen the post just before my post.

Edited by Vecna6667

hi i thinking of getting gtx590 or gtx580 i have a high spec comp i7 ,wich one is the best of the two as ive heard the gtx480 is the better one.?

The GTX 590 is two severly downclocked GTX 580's in one card and is a $700 plus card. The downclock is beacause the card's power requirement at standard clock speeds(under full load) would've exploded the power supply unit. The GTX 580 has a power draw(at full load) of 395w and the GTX 590's power draw(at full load) is 515w. Despite the close to 200mHz drop(can't remember the exact amount) in the core clock speed from the GTX 580, the GTX 590(with a core clock speed of 607mHz) is almost as fast as the Radeon HD 6990(the fastest Graphics Card out at the moment and also a Dual-GPU card like the GTX 590.) The 590 also requires the games to have SLI profiles so you tend to be at the mercy of updating drivers by the week as new games are released.