Parkour Mod for Fallout 4?

SpecOpsPaul

Freerunning, parkour and grappling? -~-~maybe

Just want to see if anybody has started on or plans on making a parkour mod for Fallout 4. Once the Geck comes out I plan to try my hands at making mods like that. Yet I am a newb in the modding community and it would probably A) take way to long because I'm in college right now, and don't know how to start, and B) be of poor quality (I am a MOFO newb after all). So if anyone has started on a mod like this it'd be great if someone told me asap.

If however I become one to do it, I'll try to add in free running where you don't need to hit the jump if the object you running over is at arms length without jumping, and I want to put in grappling on ledges if you jump to one. Also grappling hooks, because why not?

I will try to edit this post when I have time, but I have an engineering degree to work towards peeps :wallbash: . Any suggestions/help/ or general comments telling me when I've done a dumb will be great.

You must love Assassin's Creed.

I am not sure how possible your idea will be. Because this really involves core design. To make this happens, the game has to have a very detailed collision map. Use Assassin's Creed for example, beside the beautiful texture of the world, underneath, there is a map that defines all the objects player character can grab onto and the game decide what kind of actions are allowed to do. At a window frame, player can either go in (hit W to go straight) or jump up (hit Spacebar). But at a wall, player cannot hit W to go in ... because ... it's a wall (and collision map will tell the game this action is not allowed). Player can go up or down.

Parkour is more than just climbing and vaulting over objects, so there are more complex calcuations that require the game designer to have a much better collision map than what FO4 has. And the animation is going to be a pain to do. FO4 is so simple that you can duck, jump, run, but they don't even have existing animations for ducking behind the wall, leaping over a fence, body dive (through a small window) and roll on the ground. Games like Mass Effect, Tomb Raider have all those animations, and that's not even close to what Assassin's Creed has. All these motion captures require expensive hardware and stuntman to do, not something you can simply code in on a computer.

If you can do this, you practically create 1/2 of a brand new game. Might as well work with game designer, 3D artist, and writer, and you got a fully functional game ready to sell on Steam.

Just telling you what you are getting yourself into.

Edited by tomomi1922

thatll take extreme dedication to do all animations and what ever else is required this definitively not garrysmod now if fallout 4 was more like garrysmod where had very little content and was meant to be modded hell out of it, would be hell allot easier for animators and who ever else to do it.

Edited by lest120

I will say you could possibly make a parkour mod for fallout 4. But as the guys above said. It will take EXTREME dedication. Months of work, The GECK and a handfull of skilled modders who can fill the many gabs that needs filling. And even then i fear that if your gonna see a parkour mod. It's most likely going to only work in 1st person (cause then you can skip the animations) and it's not gonna look very great. Imagine running up a wall is nothing more than seeing the running animation and then vertically ascend a predetermined height. I could see some cool jump mechanics utilizing the "throwing arc" already added. So that you could see where a dash could take you or as you said to throw a grappling hook. But Again remember the base mechanics of the game does not allow such an in-depth system. You could utilize a s***-ton of loop holes and already implemented features of the game to make something with the general feel. But don't expect a ton. i recall fallout new vegas never got a parkour mode but something as "simple" as a working car took 3 years to be added. (add to that it was the most requested mod feature EVER)

So not to bust your balls mate. But it's a very unlikely candidate for a fallout mod :tongue: (though i would be VERY positively surprised and eat my hat if someone pulled it off xD ) So for now at leased. If you want to parkour. Keep playing assassins creed :tongue:

Edited by Agnonthewolf