How does levelling work with skills whose governing attribute is 100+

rogermccarthy

So I've started replaying Oblivion again after a long hiatus as with mods it is still the best RPG around on PC.

But something that puzzles me and which google doesn't seem to be able to find an answer is what happens to levelling when one of your characters attributes hits 100.

For example I am playing a Breton pure mage using vanilla levelling (I know it sucks but none of the levelling mods really work for me).

I aim to only use Alchemy and Mysticism and Conjuration skills to max out my Intelligence at 100 at level 10 (this sounds limiting but works surprisingly well once you can summon scamps and create potions).

So when I am at level 10 with 100 Intelligence what happens next?

If I then raise alchemy from say 80 to 81 does that count towards my 10 skill raises that will level me up again?

If so that rather torpedoes my rational levelling plan of then getting x5 willpower every level from 11 to 20....

Your intelligence (without enhancement buffs from enchanted rings etc.) will be maxed at 100 (you will no longer be allowed an option to advance it higher at level up). Any skills advancements you make on skills that would have advanced your intelligence will still advance those skills, just no advancement perk to intelligence. If one or more are major skills they will still count toward the 10 needed to trigger a level up ... if they are minor skills they just count towards getting the advancement perks for novice to apprentice or journeyman to expert etc. The only two skills that work above 100 and actually give you any additional benefit are acrobatics and athletics ... getting the others above 100 just gives a number that doesn't offer any true additional benefit. Here's a UESP Wiki guide on leveling that may help answer your questions, and another on efficient leveling.