Quest Status Report/Display

TheMastersSon

We're searching for a hopefully small and unobtrusive (ie no required script extenders) utility to display or dump to a text file the current levels of all Oblivion quests. The main purposes would be to confirm the levels of one or more specific quests, and identify remaining/unplayed quests in a game.

We've done this same thing via batch files for a while now, but the output is cumbersome and we were curious if anyone can (or maybe already has) come up with a more elegant utility. It sure would be nice to have this info available at a glance in the game status screens.

Thanks!

I would like to ask: why you don't want to use OBSE?

It's perfectly safe, stable and working, it's used by literally everyone who use mods and I see no reason to not use it.

After all, OBSE is the only way to print messages to the console from scripts.

Also, OBSE hold the only commands to get detailed informations about quests (vanilla only have GetQuestRunning, GetStage and GetStageDone and no way to tell if the quest is marked as "Completed").

Without OBSE... the first idea I have is this one:

you could manually build a list with all Oblivion quests (be careful with mods which may add new quest or alter existing ones by adding/removing/altering stages). Then you need to manually analyze each one and find the stage or the condition which cause their completion.

Finally you need to create a script/bat file which analyze these quests one by one and show the result with the commands Message/MessageBox (the only vanilla "log" system, which is really bad as calling these commands continuously won't show all messages).

I don't know if there's a better way (this was my first raw idea), and probably you already have something similar or better, but trying to achieve this without OBSE... you're hurting yourself without reason!!

Edited by forli

Thanks for the info. The existing batch files are what you describe, a simple list of 'GetStage <QuestName>' commands. I'm not interested in analyzing why quests are incomplete or skipped, just whether they are. But due to the console's limited (or maybe non-existant) output buffering or redirect options, each batch file can only handle several quests at a time. It works but it's awkward.

II have nothing against script extenders, but I'm not a typical Oblivion player. I use a grand total of one mod, my own, which incorporates custom changes and lots of resources from other mods. I've gotten away with no script extenders for almost 10 years now with this method and would just like to keep the tradition. :)

Thanks again!