No attributes? Am I the only one Worried?

BladeValant546

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing the attributes is a rather drastic change in design but it's difficult to speculate about whether it's a change for the worse...I'll play the game when it's released to see how it works out.

Removing the attributes is a rather drastic change in design but it's difficult to speculate about whether it's a change for the worse...I'll play the game when it's released to see how it works out.

That is my consensus as-well this topic been informative for me, as I normally don't post on forums for good reasons. So I am at a loss how this will work but guess that what us you get for being dependent on Pen and Paper rpgs, we don't know any other system minus numbers. :wallbash:

Hopefully Stamina will determine your speed and encumberance.

Maybe Magicka will determine how quickly it regenerates as well?

Chances are if there are perks for other skills, there could be perks for health, stamina, and magicka. Instead of getting your endurance high enough to regenerate, you can get your health points up until you can select a perk for that.

Hopefully Stamina will determine your speed and encumberance.

Maybe Magicka will determine how quickly it regenerates as well?

Chances are if there are perks for other skills, there could be perks for health, stamina, and magicka. Instead of getting your endurance high enough to regenerate, you can get your health points up until you can select a perk for that.

I just hope can be a ninja and jump through the roof tops. So I think this could work more organically if they do it right, which is beyond me at the moment. I just do not want a another rpg that bites the mainstream dust.

I just wondering how Duel Wielding with work with out dex. and Sneaking will work out (hopes for splinter cell or Thief stealth system I can dream.)

Edited by BladeValant546

Ok, let me draw a merry fancy picture. :biggrin:

In formal games, the attributes had been non-changing factors.

They just get accumulated, sometimes curse or poison decrease certain amount secs, but they are just seperated into the character sheet and inform you nothing but how your character is cool and well grown up.

---------------------------------------------------

But In 3-status meathods, three factors can be changed in every situations and (forrmer) status will be changed directly under circumstances.

For example, your magicka gets low, it also gives the same effect of INT gone down drastic that makes your magic much weaken. You'll need to restore magicka, or change to weapons quickly, which make the gameplay more dynamic and situational.

And thanks to 3 status exactly displaying on the screen, you don't need to open the character menu or stare at Effects showing bar. All your consuming and remains will be exposed at your sight so you will see what situation your character is under and what to do directly.

Status changes such as diease, poison, cold also get alive.

For ex, you got poisoned, your health go down crazy, your combat prowess get significantly reduced, so Green Health Bar is not good and should be dealt imm. Because of the bar is green and low, you wil directly know that former STR, END are significantly decreased, without pushing any buttons.

Edited: jeez did I misspelled 'former'? :sweat:

Edited by midtek

Ok, let me draw a merry fancy picture. :biggrin:

In formal games, the attributes had been non-changing factors.

They just get accumulated, sometimes curse or poison decrease certain amount secs, but they are just seperated into the character sheet and inform you nothing but how your character is cool and well grown up.

---------------------------------------------------

But In 3-status meathods, three factors can be changed in every situations and your character's (formal) status will be changed directly under circumstances.

For example, your magicka gets low, it also gives the same effect of INT gone down drastic that makes your magic much weaken. You'll need to restore magicka, or change to weapons quickly, which make the gameplay more dynamic and situational.

And thanks to 3 status exactly displaying on the screen, you don't need to open the character menu or stare at Effects showing bar. All your consuming and remains will be exposed at your sight so you will see what situation your character is under and what to do directly.

Status changes such as diease, poison, cold also get alive.

For ex, you got poisoned, your health go down crazy, your combat prowess get significantly reduced, so Green Health Bar is not good and should be dealt imm. Because of the bar is green and low, you wil directly know that your formal STR, END are significantly decreased, without pushing any buttons.

Except there is no value such as "Int" or any of those other attributes. There is only HP, MP, Stamina, and skills as far as things are shown to the player. This does not mean that there aren't other derrived stats such as carry weight, spell effectiveness, spell resistance, recovery rate, weapon damage, movement speed, ect aren't still there but are simply handled in a different way than stats. As is, in Oblivion, most of the stats didn't mean very much when separated from their associated skills/derived stats and actually increasing some of the stats for one reason could have unwanted consequences eg; boosting strength too much let you carry more but also made your weapons break faster. Also, for the most part, you needed to decrease stats by quite a lot to have any negative effect... such as speed needing to be drained by 20-30 points to notice much difference in runspeed on a character with high athletics and strength being pretty much all or nothing to see any effect when dealing with NPCs. Other purely stat based aspects were pretty much absent in Oblivion, and were mostly there just for the purpose of filling in as a link between skills and derived stats. Even with mods that overhauled the leveling system, attributes were almost always put as a minor concern in favor of focusing on skills and some mod-specific stat elements.

I like this change, as i think it makes the leveling much more believable and not really simpler.

You still need to use the weapons/spells/skills you want to get better in...its like in real life...if you use something often you get better at it, but you dont have to put 10 points in something just to jump 10 feet higher and also it prevents people from messing up their character by choosing wrong at the start of the game.

I like the idea that your action determines what you are and not the choices at the beginning or pre-determined classes and with so many perks this basically calls out for uniqueness.

Edited by pavy

I think though Beth is simplifying this a bit over, it's not that bad. Comparing the new system with the old one, I still find the former better in reflecting the reality. This system is meant to have you LIVE your character rather than calculating points of each level, and that's really nice. But I they should still split the physical attributes rather than stuffing them all in one 'health'. Being a huge muscle guy and a lean stealthy guy is very different. Perhaps they can have the stealth attributes enhanced quicker if players do things like doge are sidestep very often during a combat.

Being a huge muscle guy and a lean stealthy guy is very different.

Thankfully, this isn't Fable.

Don't forget, they never mentioned how strictly skills would affect stats. Raising any skill might have some effect on overall health/magicka/stamina by means of levels for example, and even as a stealthy type, you would still be using some spells and combat skills... This is TES, a well rounded character is not only strongly encouraged by the way of the game, but is sometimes required if you want to be able to last a fight. Dragons supposedly fly in the air, so expect even your lowly barbarian to need to use a bow or magic at some point. Plus, with dual wield/cast, you still get a large advantage for specializing early on.