how to add a picture/texture to a gun

rossco96

Okay folks so I've just learned how to use the geck and am wanting to upload a mod to the nexus forums, it's a unique laser rifle named "Surprise!". Now I know how to edit the statistics and name etc. but what I really want to do is add a picture to the side of the gun, which is a white scribble with "Surprise!" written in yellow on it. Any help would be appreciated as I aim to create and upload the mod as soon as possible :)

Okay folks so I've just learned how to use the geck and am wanting to upload a mod to the nexus forums, it's a unique laser rifle named "Surprise!". Now I know how to edit the statistics and name etc. but what I really want to do is add a picture to the side of the gun, which is a white scribble with "Surprise!" written in yellow on it. Any help would be appreciated as I aim to create and upload the mod as soon as possible :)

do you have:

1) nifscope

2) photoshop or comparable

if so this is easy.

get the nvidia dds plugin.

open the .dds the gun is currently using in photoshop you should only have to mess with the first texture, ignore the other ones like _n or _g or shiny or anything like that. the one you need should have the gun name in it. (these other files are useful but for what you are doing specifically they shouldnt need to be messed with)

figure out the filepath to the dds by opening the model in nifscope and going to niTriStrips->shadinglightingproperty->shadingtextureset and following the filepath for the texture

its best if you make a new folder in both the meshes and textures directory for your new model and textures respectively. and be sure in nifscope after these files are in those folders you use relative file paths instead of direct file paths so other people can use it too. so for instance the file paths should look something like: "textures\yourtexturefolder\itemtexturesfolder\itemtexturename.dds"

ok so with the .dds (texture) you're modifying open,

edit it as you see fit, flatten the image and save it as a new filename dds again i think DX5 no mipmaps

save it to your new texture directory

point to in in nifscope and save the model as a NEW filename in your mesh directory so you dont overwrite the old laser gun.

point the the new gun model in the geck weapon editor window under artwork.

i think thats all.

Don't forget to make a static model under worldspace->static. You can create a 1stPerson model from the 1stPersonLaserRifle. Just edit it to reflect the new paths for the texture. If you don't make the 1st person model, when your under the art and sound tab you will not be able to select it in the "1st person model object field". Then it would only look like a standard laser rifle when your using it in first person view. Also you need to make additional static models if it can be modded (1 new model for 1 new visible mod, 3 new models if it has 2 visible mods, and 7 new models if it has 3 visible mods). If the mod's aren't visible then you can use the same model in the "mod info" tab. But you can just change the path on the already existing 1stpersonlaserRifle models and then save making a new model (choose yes when asked to make a new form, if you choose no it will change all laser rifles to use your texture).

Don't forget to make a static model under worldspace->static. You can create a 1stPerson model from the 1stPersonLaserRifle. Just edit it to reflect the new paths for the texture. If you don't make the 1st person model, when your under the art and sound tab you will not be able to select it in the "1st person model object field". Then it would only look like a standard laser rifle when your using it in first person view. Also you need to make additional static models if it can be modded (1 new model for 1 new visible mod, 3 new models if it has 2 visible mods, and 7 new models if it has 3 visible mods). If the mod's aren't visible then you can use the same model in the "mod info" tab. But you can just change the path on the already existing 1stpersonlaserRifle models and then save making a new model (choose yes when asked to make a new form, if you choose no it will change all laser rifles to use your texture).

oh yeah. seems i left out an important bit there... sorry.