Rings Not Visible

Beng4499

I have reassigned some items from the Tail Slot to the Ring Slot in the Construction Set. When I put the items onto NPC's in the Construction Set, only one of the Ring Slot items is visible, even if two are equipped. In game on my player character none of the ring slot items are visible when equipped. Is there any way to make both of the ring slot items visible? Thanks for the help.

BenG4499

Notice that there is a left and a right ring slot. Two lefts or two rights won't equip two rings, you need one of each.

Your character has one or more items equipped that have the 'hide rings' property checked, most likely.

NPCs in my game don't seem to have any trouble equipping two rings assigned to the left ring slot, though they only equip one if they're both assigned to the right ring slot.

Edited by whalecakes

Good to know whalecakes. I don't know if I ever tried two lefts when I was working it out myself. Just had another look through the rings in the CS and it seems that the Grand rings are all rights, while some of the named rings (e.g. Ring of Perfection and Ring of Stamina) are left slot. I was likely trying two Grands.

Similar test results to what I found when I was messing around with it. The thing I've learned here is what you pointed out ... two lefts works, two rights are a no go. Makes you wonder if Bethesda did that on purpose or was it just another random oversight.

I went through and did some tests. The left and right did not matter in the Construction Set on NPC's, whether it was two lefts, two rights, or one of each, only one item would be visible, and it was always the last item that was put into their inventory. I am also 100% sure that I did not have any items hiding my rings (I ran tests with only rings and ring slot items equipped). I performed tests in game on my player character, and no ring slot items (left or right alone, or any combination of them) would appear on the character. My tail slot, lower leg slot, and amulet slot items all work perfectly, as do my regular in game items. My ring slot items that use the ring model also function properly (including one that fills the shield slot). Does the ring slot only work for items using ring models? Any information would be helpful. Thanks again.

-BenG4499

Rings work the same as shields and weapons in that they don't have any vertex weighting, so that's probably your problem. They have a single string with the name of a bone, and it basically glues them onto that bone. In the case of rings, it needs to switch between L and R, which it can't do if it isn't using that format.

Rings work the same as shields and weapons in that they don't have any vertex weighting, so that's probably your problem. They have a single string with the name of a bone, and it basically glues them onto that bone. In the case of rings, it needs to switch between L and R, which it can't do if it isn't using that format.

For arbitrary items just "worn" in the ring slot according to my observations this is not true. They were simply rigged to the skeleton bones as usual and just set up to occupy the ring slot in the CS. But what I stumbled across when messing around with it was that you need to make those ring slot items "armor", as for some reason as "clothing" they were not rendered at all. This could be due to a different mistake on my end though, but I always specify them as armor since then.