Texture problem

BranNougli

Trying to learn more about Modding, I have been messing around with textures and Bodyslide. I changed a Mesh file then linked it to a new Texture file when I open the new .Nif file the texture shows up corrtly in BodySlide, but when I play the game the mesh shows up just fine but the texture is just black. Not sure if anyone has ran into this problem or if it's something stupid I did. Also sorry I think I put this in the wrong area.

Edited by BranNougli

I've got the same issue. The textures show up fine on the model in Outfit Studio and NifSkope, but when I get in game, the texture is extremely dark. I've only found a few pages about this issue, and the ones I've found seem to be too dated to be of any help.

The few threads about this problem never get any replies, and die off pretty quick. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

It's quite simple. Use Nifskope to trace the material file, and from there trace the texture files with Material editor. Find out if they even point to the right files or not. Usually missing diffuse map means your skin will show up bright purple. But in this case I suspect of missing or wrong normal map.

You guys gave very vague problems, so most of the time people don't bother replying. Most of these cases you need to show screenshots too. If that is too much work to do, then it really waste other's time to even reply.

Thanks.

What dress is this again? Maybe I will take a look at the file. Meanwhile, My very first guess is texture path is wrong (either by author) or by you (some other mods overwrote the path, etc...). This should be rather straight forward fix. Can you diagnose yourself? If not, I will try to look in the file if you tell me where you get it from.

I didnt install into the game, but I looked at it. I presume you have problem with RedAzzLingerie01.nif

I think I may know the problem. Looking at Nifskope, your mesh refer to only the skin material correctly, but no reference to the lingerie material file. What program do you use to create these models (or convert). So the game doesn't know which material file to look at. So your problem will solve once you give the correct path. I am looking at "RedAzzLingerie.BGSM" but RedAzzLingerie01.nif is not pointing to it as it is supposed to. The NIf did point at the correct skin texrture, so my default nude skin shows up fine.

I see other outfit like the bone hand panties, the cuirass, ... LOOK at BoneHands.nif .... in some Strings, you point the path to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Textures\TSW\TSW5\hexagonal patterns.dds"
THIS IS BAD. You are using absolute path, and it only works if everyone installs their game at that exact location, but I am sure not many do, I don't. So for that particular one, you should change to "Textures\TSW\TSW5\hexagonal patterns.dds" The game will know where to fill in the rest of the location.

I am glad we made progress.