Vampire Trouble

Akkikiri

OK, so I'm very confused. :wacko: I've seen vampire characters in the game of all races with all the appropriate voices, but when I tried turning Lucien Lachance from Imperial to VampireRace in the CS, I got the "I HAVE NO GREETING" thing. I don't get it! :wallbash: I checked out Lord Lovidicus, and I don't see any evidence of vampirism. His race is Imperial, and he has no script, yet in game he is clearly a vampire. Vicente Valtieri is as much of a vampire as you can get, fangs and all! Yet he speaks with a breton voice and functions fine. Any help? I would love to make some original vampire characters and turn a few existing ones into vamps, but I can't figure out how to without totally ruining them. Thanks in advance, as always! :blush:

The Vampire race is not a "race" per say. I don't have much insight into this hardcoded game behavior myself, but the race "vampire" is only used to somehow "blend" into the actual race the actor is of once turned into a vampire. You can turn everybody in the game into a vampire, but this is not a change of race. Take a look at the head mesh of the vampire race. Now this shape and the shape of the non-vampire actor get blended over according to the level of vampirism the actor currently has. The eye textures get completely changed out to the vampire ones, so even beasts like Khajiit and Argonians get "human" vampire eyes. And I already told you about the fangs. Those come from a vampire shape key in the TRI file of the human teeth. Khajiit and Argonians don't even get fangs when turning into vampires.

I did it once previously but can't remember that well anymore now, but I think you need to add a certain vampire "ability" (via AddSpell) to the actor and it immediately becomes "vamped". It might have been something along the lines of "vampirism", but I think it was the "vampire sun damage" ability rather. Just play around with adding these spells (you'll need to retrieve their FormIDs) to random actors ingame via console and you will quickly find out which one makes them look like vampires. Or you could analyze the scripts related to vampirism and find out how they do it. They weren't that hard to find either.

The issue here is that the vampire race is marked as not playable. I'm not certain what the vampire race is used for (though I think the previous poster is correct) but I do know that most dialogue in Oblivion can only be spoken by playable races. That is why you are getting the "I have no greeting" message. Instead what you should do is copy a vampire. Most vampires I see in the CS have certain abilities in their spell list. I have some vampires in the mod I am working on now and I did not have to touch their race.