Can't Install OBSE with the D2D downloable game

jallard

And they don't have someone looking over their shoulder counting pennies. Doing it right = making a profit today ... wasn't always just about that at one time.

That being said, as a old man gamer on Social Security I would be willing to pay $100 for a game if it met my standards and it was very well developed. As an RPG the game it would have to be on the epic scale of Dragon Age Origins and hopefully Skyrim. In Dragon Age Origns you had practically everything from companions to romance, immersive dialogue and cut scenes that moved the story along. Sure, it took five years to make, but it still ranks 9.5 among users. It wasn't about fast Mortal Kombat style fighting that never seems to end like in Dragon Age 2. It was about character building and making decisions that affected the outcome of the game. And, once the modders were able to do their thing the game had become even more epic. I still play it today. It is my most favorite game ever. Sure, I have Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas still loaded on my system and I do still occasionally play them. But, even they aren't on the same scale as Dragon Age Origins. Say what you will about the differences in RPG game style I will stand by DAO. That's why I was so utterly disappointed in DA2. What crap!

So, I hope that by pre-ordering Skyrim I won't be disappointed. Still, I have some confidence in Bethesda and certainly the modders out there.

Isn't DA:O a rather linear game though? Starting with Morrowind, and all the way thru New Vegas, they are open worlds. You don't have to do quests in any particular order. That, and the priority for the devs working on oblivion were different as well..... I think the game was more oriented to 'casual, console players' than anything else. (look at the stock UI.......) They were trying to appeal to a much wider audience. It worked, after a fashion.... but, the base game held zero appeal for me. It wasn't until the modders got a hold of it that I could actually enjoy the game. Beth looked at what folks were whining about in Morrowind, and then took those complaints to EXTREMES. (quest compass? weapons never miss? Never fail alchemy? Level scaling........)

Not to mention... Minigames...... Player skill took precedence over character skill. More an action/adventure game, than a true RPG. (yes, I am a purist. :D to an extent....)

With FO3, the improved quite a bit. (well, they still had minigames..... but, can't have everything. eh?) New Vegas, which was only published by beth.... I thought was the better game though.

I still have not heard if Skyrim is going to have a steam, or some other silly requirement..... so, I won't be pre-ordering until such news is out, and if there IS such a requirement, I simply won't be buying the game. (but, like NV, if someone buys it for me.... I am not gonna say no. :D)

Isn't DA:O a rather linear game though? Starting with Morrowind, and all the way thru New Vegas, they are open worlds. You don't have to do quests in any particular order. That, and the priority for the devs working on oblivion were different as well..... I think the game was more oriented to 'casual, console players' than anything else. (look at the stock UI.......) They were trying to appeal to a much wider audience. It worked, after a fashion.... but, the base game held zero appeal for me. It wasn't until the modders got a hold of it that I could actually enjoy the game. Beth looked at what folks were whining about in Morrowind, and then took those complaints to EXTREMES. (quest compass? weapons never miss? Never fail alchemy? Level scaling........)

Not to mention... Minigames...... Player skill took precedence over character skill. More an action/adventure game, than a true RPG. (yes, I am a purist. :D to an extent....)

With FO3, the improved quite a bit. (well, they still had minigames..... but, can't have everything. eh?) New Vegas, which was only published by beth.... I thought was the better game though.

I still have not heard if Skyrim is going to have a steam, or some other silly requirement..... so, I won't be pre-ordering until such news is out, and if there IS such a requirement, I simply won't be buying the game. (but, like NV, if someone buys it for me.... I am not gonna say no. :D)

I agree that FNV is a better game than FO3. Personally, I wasn't fond of the ending in FO3. I played the original Fallout game back in the 90's and I suppose I was looking for a similar ending --where the PC walks off into the sunset, not giving up his or her like for the good of the many. Notwithstanding, I am also disappointed in FNV's ending as well. I would have liked to have had my PC taking over New Vegas in which everyone prospered and worked together. In the game "nothing changes." But, that was the theme, wasn't it? Despite all of his or her efforts nothing changed. Still, I suppose somewhere in the near future our great-grand kids will experience it for real, the way things are going: But, that is another topic all together.

I really, really hope that Skyrim is a stand-alone game. That too would piss me off it is a download from Steam.